Functional or for show only?

the45er

I have a S&W 1911 now and it is a fine gun. I have noticed that the newer "Performance Center" S&W 1911's have cut-outs in the slide. Other than a minor weight reduction, do these have any function? They cannot act as compensators as they aren't in the barrel and I doubt that the 1911 really needs any extra heat dissipation. Just curious.

Shadow9mm

Lightens the slide and gun. Can increase slide velocity for faster shooting. Miniscule performance increase, meh imho.

Last edited:

rock185

No function, just marketing. Similar to all the Glock "must have" slide machine work, e.g., creatively machined holes, angles, profiles, and designer colors if desired.

DT Guy

Slices the living daylights out of holsters, hands and anything else they come in contact with.

Not really a fan.

Larry

eflyguy

A lighter slide cycles more reliably with lower loaded cartridges.

It would make little difference with most commercial ammo, but for minimal hand-loads it could.

Rob228

I've got a Shadow Systems with slide cuts and a fluted barrel. It lets them charge more ;)

Haven't really noticed a buildup of crud getting in there even though it is an EDC, a kydex over leather holster probably helps with that.

I think the worst example of cutouts I ever saw was a skeletonized AR receiver. Not the really bad one with a skull for a magazine well, but it looked like as much was cut out of the lower receiver as possible and still maintain functionality.

Jim Watson

A lighter slide cycles more reliably with lower loaded cartridges.

It would make little difference with most commercial ammo, but for minimal hand-loads it could.

Right, Colt started making Commanders with lightened slides for the original 9mm. Early Gold Cups had lightened slides for midrange .45 ACP. But done internally, not as a styling exercise.

CajunBass

I've got a Smith and Wesson 9mm EZ PC that has slide cuts. If they make any difference I can't tell it one way or the other. Same goes for the "ported barrel." I suspect they're really there so you can see the fancy "gold/silver" barrels, but since I've got the plain black one...

I haven't noticed the cuts gather more crud either, but then I do use a Kydex holster.

Rob228

a kydex over leather holster probably helps with that.

To clarify I meant that its a kydex holster with leather lining so its pretty snug and nothing is getting in there.

44 AMP

Staff
Making the slide lighter means less mass, so less inertia, so that with the same amount of "push" it moves sooner, and faster.

and, while this can increase reliability with light loads, it can, if taken too far, reduce the gun's service life with standard or heavy loads.

Semi auto slides are a balancing act between mass and forces in both directions. Go too far and you have to do something to regain the balance.

Cut holes in the slide, reduce to a bare skeleton and you will need to increase the recoil spring power to compensate, or the gun will batter itself.

What is the tipping point? Engineers get PAID to figure that out. Mechanically, almost anything can be done to achieve balance, BUT one has to stay within that is both practical, and what appeals to the market.

A pistol with a skeleton light weight slide that needs a 75lb spring is not going to sell,

THere is another point, holes in the slide (or an "open" syle action) that "let dirt in"... also let dirt OUT!

In theory this should balance, but in the real world, sometimes, it doesn't.

44 AMP

Staff
sidenote to the sidenote:

The last year('s?) of Buick's with holes had "holes" that didn't go all the way through, they were chromed ovals with a solid bottom, deep enough to give the impression of a hole without actually being one.

Drm50

A 1911 was thrown in mud puddle and expected to function. These Star Wars looking stuff is just a sales gimmick. They are doing the same thing with knives. Dirt catchers is all they are.

reynolds357

Weight reduction for slide velocity. Barrel can be ported to match and achieve good recoil reduction. I had a Delta Elite years ago that I had similar cuts put in slide and barrel ported to match.