Fun with my projects

ligonierbill

And making some progress. I mostly finished loads for the 1895 35 Winchester, guided by Ken Waters' article. Got the 250 Hornady's on target (the 200s run too high for the current sights) at 2,143/10.3 using Waters' IMR-3031 load. I'm 80 fps slower than his, but he had a brand new, rebored Browning, probably tighter than my 1907. Shows how much he liked the round. Still need to try IMR-4320, which Waters favored for 250s, and find some 225 Partitions.

I did my first workup on the 220 Swift. That's a 1972 M70 in a Richards Microfit AAA myrtle stock. No stain, just Linspeed. At Sierra's Re-16 max for their 55 HPBT, she's running 3,724, not much faster than Sierra got with a 24" barrel (this one is 27 1/2" 1:12). I want to try some 50 gr Nosler BT and some different powders. Folks seem fairly conservative in loads, trying to preserve barrels, I guess. Speer runs 2.8 grains more than Sierra with their 55s, and QL still predicts fairly low pressure.

And the 338 RUM: wearing a new B&C "Weatherby" stock. It seems to fit me a little better than the Remington original, but I only put 10 rounds downrange. Hornady 270 ELD-X went 2,566 with a modest load of Ramshot Magnum. I think I will get about 2,750 from this combination. Couldn't group, as I was roughing in the scope. Did get an initial 1" and 3,063 from 210 Barnes TTSX over Re-25. Seems to track their data, which should yield 3,185 at max. I'm still getting to know this rifle. More bullets, maybe some Re-33 if I can find it.

Guess which gun made a mark? Yep, crescent steel buttplate Winchester. Ken Waters' new one at least had a shotgun butt, but even at that, he was looking for a good recoil pad.

Attachments

• rifles (1).jpg
    rifles (1).jpg
    882.6 KB · Views: 95

stagpanther

I've fired smaller caliber RUMS without a brake and they're OK, but firing a heavy 338 bullet at high speed is going to whomp you fer sure. :) Is that B&C holding up OK? I find that material they use is kinda "mushy" and can compress easily, I've never been 100% convinced it can hold up well to sustained heavy recoil, but maybe I'm just imagining things.

ligonierbill

The B&C (and me) are holding up fine. The stock seems to fit me a little better than the 700 BDL stock, although I've never had a complaint about the original.
I have a run of 270 ELD-X ready to test, and 300 SMK are on the bench. Regards recoil, I don't mind being rocked back if I don't get hurt.

Hurt is that 35 Winchester. Nothing like a steel crescent buttplate to put some color on your shoulder. Bench work requires a pad. But I went up a little on the IMR-3031 to Mike Venturino's load for 2,204/16.8 with the Hornady 250's. Using up my discontinued IMR-4320, I have the 200s dialed in at 2,200 also. I need to refine my sight in, but I hope to get them close on POI.

I think I've reported already that my 220 Swift will put the Nosler 50 VMG inside 3/4" at 3,900 (Re-17). I have obtained some 53 gr SMK and more Re-16, so a little more work. But I doubt I'll better those Varmageddons.

stagpanther

Hurt is that 35 Winchester. Nothing like a steel crescent buttplate to put some color on your shoulder. Bench work requires a pad.
I can relate, my henry brass big boy in 45-70 has a metal brass buttplate too and it has given all kinds of nice tattoos.:)

I'm still kicking myself for having passed on a custom-engraved winchester in 35 win lever gun years at a LGS that was around $800 but in new condition.

Last edited:

ligonierbill

Update on the 338 RUM: The 270 ELD-X are running 2,727/15.4 over Ramshot Magnum. I need to knuckle down and shoot for group, although they look promising. Still on the lookout for Re-33, which appears to be the only powder that will best this without pushing pressure. Yet to load the 300 SMK.

stagpanther

How long is your barrel on that 338 RUM? You might need a long one--say at least 26"--to really get good use out of a slow burner like RL33. I tried a few test shots out of my 338LM (26" barrel) using RL33 and was not impressed by the filthy bore left behind.

stagpanther

As they say every rifle is different--Also, I don't pay much attention to results under 200 yds with something like the 338 LM--I like to test at least at 250 to 300 if at all possible. Do you mind my asking the charge weight of your ram magnum load?

stagpanther

That's pretty close to what I use on one of my best loads for 285 eldm's in my 338LM. I just logged onto Hogdon's website and they have H1000 available in 1lbrs; you might want to try that instead of something like RL33/Retumbo in the under 300 gr bullet class.

ligonierbill

I am going to try Vihtavouri N568. I get great results with N560 in 7mm Mag and 338 Mag, and N568 may also do well with 175 gr bullets in the 7 and 220s in 8mm Mag. We shall see.