Fun times at the range

Wayward_Son

I imagine that just about all wheel gun-wielders can relate.

How cool is it when you're at the range, and the place is full of black semi-autos, brass is flying everywhere, and you're the only one their with a big, stainless magnum?

I love it. I've put about 1300 rounds through my four-inch 686P in the last couple months, and I enjoy every range trip.

Today, their was a twenty-something dude on my left shooting a Glock .40. He was all over the target. I put up a target, loaded my first seven rounds, and blasted the snot out of the ten ring. After my seventh shot, I overheard him asking his buddy if I was using a laser. :cool:

There's just something about a revolver.

I've always been into double-action revolvers, but I've started fondling some single-action Rugers and Colts at the various stores around Beaumont. I think I'll have a single-action in the stable in the near future. ;)

B.N.Real

I had the same thing happen on a trip to the range about two months ago.

I had been just killing myself to get good groups out of a P-11 KelTec 9mm I had just bought.

Beside me was a guy shooting a full sized 9mm and having a pretty good day with it.

Beside him was a group of four people sharing another 9mm and they were all commenting how slow I was firing the p-11 and how much trouble I was having getting good groups.

Then out came my blued Model 10 S&W .38 special 4 inch barrel.

I popped six of the most beautifully connected bullseye shots single actioned at fifteen yards and I gotta tell ya,that pistol made it easy.

I had a big sxxx eating grin on face as I went to get that target.

All five people slowed down to try to dupilicate what they had just seen,suddenly nobody was joking anymore.:D

Revolvers,gotta love 'em.:D

xtargeeter

I know what you guys mean. I have a .445 Super Mag Dan Weston with a 9" barrel and an old 2 power Nikon scope on it, all in stainless. I haul it out at the range and everyone just stops and looks at me. Load of fun.

a week ago we were at the range, with my friends. we put out a 3/4" red dot. at 20 yards. to see if anybody could hit it. I was the only one to hit it. twice:D out of 10 rounds and with a 3" .44 magnum. Damn I like my 629:D

Bboomer

I've always been into double-action revolvers
+1

Yep, there is just no comparison between a wheel gun vs anything tactical. They both have their place I suppose, but I just don't like plastic.

I do have a Sig in 45acp (all stainless btw), Colt 1911 and other autos but they mainly stay home.

I just do not enjoy chasing brass, especially when its mine. Although, I don't mind picking up yours :) I do reload - everything - that I shoot.

Revolvers... they are NOT good for the wasteline:eek:

gb_in_ga

Yep. Lotsa Fun! Like, just this week. I was a the range, others were there as well -- shooting their bottom feeders, and getting typical "shotgun" groups. Just to shake things up, I let go with a cylinder of full bore .357 Mags through my 686. Having gotten their attention, I changed to some mild .38 Spl 158 gr LSWC handloads, and proceeded to tear the center out of the spot, a ragged hole group. Questions about what I was shooting shortly ensued... :)

arizona98tj

I find equal pleasure shooting a 4" Security Six or a 4" .45 XD. The bullseye gets a good workout from both of them.

If one can shoot a better group than the person standing next to you, I have to wonder if it really has everything to do with the type of handgun he/she is using or perhaps it is more about them not being as good a shot as are you. For me, I want to think the 40 something years of practice might have something to do with it. ;)

bmw2

It's always fun at the indoor range when I take that first shot with my .44 and everyone jumps a little:rolleyes:

maikell77

I love to pull out the smith 19-4 and put a box or two of .38's through the center of the target.

I do like to pull out my BFR .460 and clear out the rifle range. When I'm doing my part the guys with ar-15's feel bad.

Wayward_Son

If one can shoot a better group than the person standing next to you, I have to wonder if it really has everything to do with the type of handgun he/she is using or perhaps it is more about them not being as good a shot as are you. For me, I want to think the 40 something years of practice might have something to do with it.

I absolutely agree with you.

Murdock

One day, I messed up

I showed up for a falling plate speed event at a range where I had won the event a few times previously with my 1911.

Probably I was a bit too relaxed about my previous performance, because when I showed up one time and dug into my range bag to set up, my 1911 wasn't there. I had failed to place it into the bag the previous evening after cleaning it. Had ammo, leather, muffs, glasses, etc. but no 1911. Cuss, spit, growl and mutter etc. ensued.:mad:

But, my old S&W Brazillian 1917 was in the bag, and I had leather to fit it. It's a well-worn but nice old gun with stag grips, a lanyard ring and a Tyler T-grip. Very retro. And besides, winning isn't everything, right? So I swapped my gear around and loaded up the 65 year-old Smith.

The range officer had a "repeater" timer with a very large digital display which faced the spectators, so that everybody (but the shooter) could get immediate feedback on elapsed time for a string. After I emptied that grand old revolver one of the older guys was kinda startled, I guess, but no more than I was when he blurted out, "Five plates from the leather in 4.1 seconds!"

I didn't win that day, and I ain't no Jerry M., but it was the best time I've ever posted with a revolver, and sure didn't look foolish against the autos. When they make them right they may lose their pretty but they don't lose their good.:D