Fun Time with a S&W .500

I went to the range this weekend with a friend of mine that owns a S&W.500 (is this the model designation, too?). It had the muzzle compensator and it was the shorter barrel version. His reloads were a bit tamer than factory loads but still packed a whallup. I was surprised it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was jarring. Went through about 10 rounds worth and didn't feel any adverse effects in my hands/wrists afterwards. It isn't one I'd feed 50 through on a daily basis, but I thought it was very easy to manage. The better half shot about a half dozen and I was quite impressed how she handled it, also. Like the .50BMG thread I recently posted, this revolver definitely isn't for me. Fun to shoot, but the initial price and cost to reload isn't my bag. Besides, I have no use for it anyway. Was impressed with the build quality and I can't say enough on the quality of trigger it had. I shot it DA on a couple of shots and even though it was heavy it was very smooth.

Sevens

I've only let loose these rounds through a T/C Encore rifle with a .500 Mag barrel. I sent five of them downrange. SOB let's you know it's there, no doubt. I'd love to try the revolver but I too wouldn't have a real use for one.

bluetopper

I recently bought a 500 in an H&R Handi-Rifle, single-shot breakover.
It will do all that I need a 500 to do at much less cost. I load hard cast gas check bullets from Montana Bullet Works.
Great fun and utter destruction on anything it hits.

wyobohunter

I can load mine light enough to feel like a fairly stout 44 mag load (only because the gun is so heavy); the 440 gr full power Brown Bear loads are another story though.

Trigger Finger

I have a friend who has one with a 8 inch barrel. It is the hardest kicking handgun I have ever shot. No reloading, I think we were shooting 400 grain soft points. It felt like it kicked about 50% more than my 50 cal Desert Eagle. Fun to shoot, for about 5 shots.

That'll Do

I always think about renting one for the day when I visit my local range, but I always seem to pass on it.

It seems like it would be a fun range toy, but I wouldn't have a real use for it.

Paochow

Reloading...

I have both the .500 and the DE .50AE and it recoil really is ammo dependent on the .500. With light 300-350 gr loads in the .500 it kicks less than the .50AE, despite generating similar to more muzzle energy. With cowboy loads the gun kicks like a .38 SPL.

Kick the bullet weight and or velocity up to the 2,000+ ft/lb mark and you have a very stout recoil along with a concussion wave and heat. The .50AE needs enough power to reliably cycle the slide, so it doesn't have the flexibility of loads that the .500 has.

62c4b039.jpg