Fun project

BirchOrr

My Doctor (and life-long friend) handed me a BP pistol a while back and asked if I could make it shoot. It was a mess! Mainspring, ram-rod, sights and nipple were all missing. He said someone gave it to his boy as a toy. I dropped a light down the barrel and it looked good! Quite possibly never fired.

It was really nothing special, an "Ultra-High" made by Miroku in .45 cal. I found a main-spring on ebay and made the rest of the missing parts. I refinished the barrel with B/C Plumb Brown and refinished the wood in black, also put a patina on the brass. The last things to do were make a display stand and shoot it!

I loaded 'er up with 25gr. of Goex and let-er-rip. I was quite shocked and surprised with it's accuracy.

:D

Birch

Pahoo

Back from the dead !!!

Very nice work and by my measure, there is always something special about resurrecting and restoring, these old ones. If its a firearm, it should be capable of shooting. You reflect the dedication and passion. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Good restoration work.

I just finished working on a 46" inch barrel Bess. My solid brass range rod is only 40 inches long so I had to get an 8" piece of 3/8" brass round stock and drill/tap one end 10/32 and cut threads on the other end so as to make an extension for the range rod. It could then be used to clean the Bess' barrel.

BirchOrr

Thanks...

...for the kind words men! :D

Yeah, everything is a project... but I LOVE the process and the results. If the result is not what I expected, the work is not done! :eek:

Doc does this more than most here and I admire it. He does beautiful
work! :D

Gary, let us know how the range-rod works out. If you need a custom
rod built, PM me. I can build you anything you want. Brass, stainless, wood, any diameter, 10/32 or 8/32 or adapter for both.

Birch

BirchOrr

4V50 Gary

You didn't mention in your rod extension project if the threads on your extension you built were brass. If so, I've been down that road before and it didn't work all that well for me. After they snapped off and I had to extract them I went to this... Its a steel insert drilled and tapped into a brass jag. NOW... it will never break.