Fun gun

clayking

Ok, I'm to the stage that I want a gun that is different & fun to shoot. For no purpose other than to enjoy, no defense needs,, not for carry, not for hunting, just for fun. Something beyond the ordinary, like maybe a race gun, perhaps something like the STI Grand Master. Admittedly, I have no practical use for it, don't currently shoot the competitive stuff that this gun is intended, but it appears like a fun one to shoot. Or even a big bad big bore like the .50 Smith & Wesson, although I fear that shooting it would wear thin soon. Machine gun?

Comments?.............................ck

topspin43

Off topic... sorry.

But do you have any rifles? Get yourself a Ruger 10/22 and modify it into a tack driver! (stock, new barrel, scope, trigger etc) They are a ton of fun! And shoot for hours for $10.

hoytinak

Since you posted this in the handgun section I'll suggest a Ruger SA revolver. Everyone likes to play a cowboy once in a while.

If you're open to rifles I'd suggest you look at the FN PS90. The funnest little rifle I've ever shot.;)

Manedwolf

Taurus 4410 "Judge".

Shoots 45 Long Colt or .410 shotshells.

WAY too much fun. :D

4410TrackerSS.jpg

Shoot clay pigeons down with a revolver with birdshot shells, or detonate milk jugs with slugs.

Dwight55

When I was in your shoes, . . . I bought a single shot, percussion, muzzle stuffer from my wife's uncle, . . . still have it, . . . still have fun with it, . . . doubles as our fireworks cannon on July 4th, . . . just pour it in and BOOM!!!

May God bless,
Dwight

epic4444

i'd go with either a ruger 10/22 or one of the ruger 22 cal pistols....or a marlin 10/20....so much fun and so cheap....dont get a 500 becuase its over 25 bucks for just 20 shots....and 20 shot is prolly gunna be to much to handle in one range trip...no fun in those guns at all....go with a 22

JWT

Go for a .22 LR - Ruger Single Six, Mark III or Browning Buckmark. Fun to shoot and ammo is very cheap. Federal can be found for $9.95 or less for 525 rounds.

If you want something a bit more powerful, and expensive to shoot, go for a
9 mm. Ammo still affordable if you watch for sales.

clayking

Ok, guess I should have mentioned, I have a fully tricked out Ruger 10/22, a Ruger Mark 111, a Smith 617, a Ruger SA .,357/9mm convertable Blackhawk, a 9mm, several .45's, 3 .357's Colt revolvers (to include a Python), several Smith's, a Springfield Long slide (newest addition) and a mess of shotguns.........

Something really different....................ck

I have a suggestion that has been suggested to me...

Call up Ken, aka Wildalaska, and ask him to hook you up with a Nagant revolver. Quite a few people claim that it's a lot of fun to shoot along with having something with history to it. It may not be a race gun, but for well under $100, it would be a steal...

Manedwolf

Call up Ken, aka Wildalaska, and ask him to hook you up with a Nagant revolver. Quite a few people claim that it's a lot of fun to shoot along with having something with history to it. It may not be a race gun, but for well under $100, it would be a steal...

Fun?! Good lord. I tried one, I was ready to throw it down the range.

I think you can measure the trigger pull with a deep-sea-fishing scale. Like "rrrrrGGGGG" *bang*. Finger aches.

Oh, yes, there's also the fact that it's nearly forty dollars for a box of ammunition, an anemic little squib with about 170ft/lbs of muzzle energy. Which you have to load one at a time through a loading gate. Look up the price of 7.62 Nagant ammo, which only Fiocchi and one other company make in small special-production batches. And get ready for sticker shock.

Here's the first price I found:

7.62mm Nagant 98gr FMJ Fiocchi Box (50 rds) $34.95
7.62 mm Nagant full metal jacket ammo. The correct ammunition to work with the gas seal system of your Soviet or Russian Imperial era M1895 Nagant revolver!

There's a reason why they're still $89 or less everywhere. They're neat to look at, but they SUCK. As someone said, they're only good for executing kneeling prisoners. Plus they're like "cheap" inkjet printers in that the gun is cheap, the price of the ammo kills you.

Ok, I'm to the stage that I want a gun that is different & fun to shoot. For no purpose other than to enjoy, no defense needs,, not for carry, not for hunting, just for fun. Something beyond the ordinary, like maybe a race gun, perhaps something like the STI Grand Master. Admittedly, I have no practical use for it, don't currently shoot the competitive stuff that this gun is intended, but it appears like a fun one to shoot. Or even a big bad big bore like the .50 Smith & Wesson, although I fear that shooting it would wear thin soon. Machine gun?

Alright, Manedwolf. Let's break this down like you did my post. I quoted Clayking's threadstarter so that you can follow my logic.

1. Different and fun: Although subjective, still fitted the bill.
2. No other purpose such as carry, hunting, etc.
3. Gave some thoughts and seemed to be all over different types for different applications. Namely noted was the S&W .500. If he noted this as a possibility, I didn't think an old revolver that some may note the downfalls would scare him off on a "different" revolver.
4. OP NEVER stated the concern for ammo cost, more less the cost of the gun.

Please don't tell me you're like a typical far left liberal: Bash a solution that one not agrees with, but not have a suggestion yourself? Please expand on your thoughts for I do enjoy your inputs on other threads...

hoytinak

Ok, guess I should have mentioned, I have a fully tricked out Ruger 10/22, a Ruger Mark 111, a Smith 617, a Ruger SA .,357/9mm convertable Blackhawk, a 9mm, several .45's, 3 .357's Colt revolvers (to include a Python), several Smith's, a Springfield Long slide (newest addition) and a mess of shotguns.........

Something really different....................ck

FN PS90 SBR'd :D

redblair

I guess it depend on what you call fun. :) Personally I'd either go for a cowboy gun like the Uberti Single Action Cattleman in 357 mag. You can shoot 38spl as well which is cheaper. Should be able to pick one up for $400.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/Cattleman.tpl

Or a different looking 22LR target gun like the beretta. Again can get one for under $400.

http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm

Then of course you can start looking at all the big toys that make big bangs. ;)

Best of luck.

B

Fun is a subjective term, but I will saythat I have never found a firearm more fun than a nice SA cowboy shoter. Especially in .45colt. I good Ruger, Uberti, or Beretta SA cowboy gun in .45colt can entertain me for hours. Especially when you try to perfect your two handed shooting using your brace hand to recock the hammer.

justin10985

I love my Taurus PT-92 9mm handgun, it is very fun to shoot.
I have included a picture of mine, has a few knicks on the grip, but I am getting new ones for it soon.

-JN

Attachments

• taurus92.jpg
    taurus92.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 42
MPanova

That would be something to take to the range.

The long barrel reminds me how much fun my GP100 with the 6" barrel is to shoot, so that is an option too.

Also my Ruger Alaskan is fun to shoot at the range. The fireballs alone are worth the cost of ammunition. :)

Tuttle8,

No offense, I am sure a Nagant would be cool to own and fun to take to the range. It woud even get some attention and turn some heads. However, I am still going to have to agree with Manedwolf on this one. Those things are a real chore to shoot. I almost need to set up an elaborate system of pullies and levers just to shoot a box of ammo through the things. :)

vostracker

Go full auto

Clayking: If money isnt a issue, and you live in a state that allows NFA firearms, go for a full auto. There's nothing better than dumping a load downrange. You'll be hooked for sure.