Fully Supported Chambers in 9 MM

Adventurer 2

I don't care about the arguments for or against fully supported chambers - I just have a simple question: What 9 millimeters have fully supported chambers? I know a Glock 26 and a Beretta 92 do not. Which ones do?

Whirlwind06

The Ruger P-series is supported pretty well. The Kel-Tec P11 seems pretty good to. I think most auto loaders by their nature of being an auto loading pistol will be unsupported to some degree or another.

Powder_Burn

As far as mass produced pistols go, HK's & the Springfield XD series are fully supported. Steyr M series and Walther P99's have near full support as well.

Alleykat

How about posting a picture of the XD's support? I've seen such pics in the past, and they sure don't look "fully supported" to me. What's the point of this thread, anyhow? Who's heard of 9mm case failures in Glocks, etc.??

Powder_Burn

Here' ya go...this compares .40 cal support but it gives you an idea of what to expect...

SupportedandNonSupportedChambers.jpg

Bullet94

The newer Glocks in 40S&W sure don't look like that. They have way more support. Must be a picture of an old Glock barrel.

wickedsprint

My Walther P1 has a fully supported chamber.

My 92FS and MKIII Hi Power(9mm) do not.

I think I'm gonna rush out and sell my Beretta and Hi Power, what could all of those Government agencies been thinking to use unsupported chambers in conflicts..and *gasp*..with +P rated ammo.

outerlimit

Yes, it's been reported there have been changes in chamber support on newer Glocks and I believe other manufacture's guns as well. So I'm not sure how relevant the above graphic is anymore.

The round I would be most concerned about chamber support with would be .40S&W with its weak brass and high pressure, not 9mm.

easyG

notagain.jpg

A pic of my CZ 75B .40....

HPIM3821.jpg

And a pic of my Glock G22....

HPIM3818.jpg

There's virtually no difference between the two when it comes to chamber support.

Powder_Burn

Certainly getting 9mm pics posted for review is optimal but until we have them I think it is reasonable to draw conclusions on 9mm guns based on the .40 pics. Case in point, there is virtually no difference between the XD-9, XD-40, and XD-45 chamber support. The fundamental ramp design they decided to use is not caliber specific. It would be interesting to get some 9mm pics so we know for sure whether or not manufacturers are making fully-supported chambers in .40 but not 9mm. Based on the new G22 pics that were posted, we can see that Glock updated the chamber so perhaps the G19 was updated as well.

9mm pics por favor....it's the only way we can answer Adventurer 2's question with absolute certainty.

BigJimP

Wilson Combat, Les Baer 1911's are all fully supported in 9mm. Sig 226 is fully supported in 9mm.

And yes, I think it does matter when you're buying a gun to know if it is or not.

wickedsprint

I fail to see how it matters, Berettas and Hi Powers are not having Kabooms..pretty sure the 9mm runs at lower pressures than the .40, could be wrong...but since the Beretta is rated for +P+ and the hot NATO stuff...I fail to see why this is even a concern...

JohnKSa

Administrator
Yes. That is definitely true. Pressure is PSI, pounds per SQUARE INCH. The more "square inches" the more force there is.