Full size USP40, what to look for?

GoSlash27

I'm planning on buying a USP40 this weekend. I'm going down to the dealer's this afternoon to look it over. What, exactly, should I pay close attention to on this model?

fatboyclone

on a new USP40 there isnt too much you should look out for; just make sure it comes woth everything that it is supposed to ie, palstic case, 2 mags, operators manual, warrantee card, spent casing in envelope, lock, etc.

i hope this helps...

A_J

And a basic function test, there's been stories about guns arriving with the safety lock in the mainspring housing engaged and someone goes to rack the slide with it locked, thus tweaking the hammer strut. Not a hard fix, but worth checking anyway.

make sure you get two hi-cap (13rd mags), if you get 10rds thats pre-ban. your going to want to get the 13rd mags, cause there already expensive as is. and if you have small, or medium hands see if you can get the flat magazine baseplates, cause i think for the USP45, they give you those extented which makes the pistol even bigger! a new HK USP40 mag will run you about $40-$50 new, and about $30 or more used. great gun, sort of wish i still had mine, but need the money more :(

Bentonville

Absolutely make sure that the stupid lock is on the operating position before racking the slide. If not and the slide is retracted, as already stated, you will mess up your gun and it will not feed right. After you make sure it is open, and I think it comes from the factory unlocked now, throw away the stupid key...or hide it. Other than that, look for the best things a handgun can possibly have. They are all present in an HK.

silver-bullet

Uh, guys, I hate to break it to you but the HK USP does NOT come with a lock on the mainspring housing, or anywhere else for that matter (I own four, so I oughtta know). You may be confusing this weapon with an inferior model like the 1911. Also, Half-Price, the USP Full-Size .40 magazines come ONLY with the flat baseplates. By contrast, the Full-Size .45's (and compact USP's) come standard with the extended baseplates.

Bentonville

The lock is found in the mag well at the rear. It looks like a snake bite, two little holes where the key fits in to turn the mechanism. Check the owner's manual. The early ones did not have them. I have several of the USP models and the P2000.The lock is there on all of them.

Squiggy

LEM trigger= no lock
other configurations (as far as I know)= lock

You can bet your uncle's silk underware that there's no lock on the USP40 fullsize LEM because I'm staring right at it.

Squiggy

BTW GoSlash27, If you don't like the price that the gunshop wants to charge you, go ahead and head on over to the "Buy, Sell and Trade: Handguns" forum and check out the USP40 I am selling. It's NIB never fired and going for $600.

GoSlash27

Update

Squiggy,
I wish I coulda, but unfortunately I'm out of time if I want to participate in the IDPA shoot.
*Update*: Sorry for wasting everybody's time, but it turns out they didn't have a full size 40 in stock. :mad:
I picked up a Beretta 96 instead.
Thanks for the info though. I'm still in the market for a full size USP40 and plan on picking one up in the next couple of months.