Full Circle

Sarge

My tag-along gun for the day was my Old Vaquero in .45 Colt. Almost as an afterthought, I realized I hadn’t shot it much since the previous fall, when I killed the last of its ‘zero gremlins’. So after mowing was done, I walked down to the backstop to discover my hard-used target board had succumbed to the last wind storm. Great… I grabbed the biggest chunk, stapled a target to it (none too neatly I might add) and walked back to the 50 yard stake to confirm this old .45 was shooting where it looked with my most used load; a Missouri Bullet 250 grain RNFP over 7.2 grains of W231, for about 825 fps.

Lacking a suitable rest, I plunked down on the ground and shot the six loads in the gun from sitting, rested over one rickety knee and pressing the trigger when the front sight touched the little red dot in the middle of the target. In retrospect, I probably should have held six o’clock.

OldReliable.jpg

Now gentlemen, I realize in the grand scheme of accurate sixguns a four-inch group won’t start any ticker-tape parades. The shooter, as usual, is the weak link in this chain because the Vaquero will hold under an inch at 25 with loads it likes. Still, I am pleased as can be. I take much comfort in a fixed sight .45 Colt I can shoot this well after ignoring it for six months, from a not particularly solid position and taking no great care to produce a photogenic group. This old Ruger is the one handgun that would stay, if all the rest of them had to go.

I guess that makes me a single-action man and I’m good with that, too. It’s where I started out and there’s worse things in life than coming full circle to something really good.

The Terminator

I just picked up my new Uberti, otherwise, looking exactly like yours, in 45 Colt. What beauty and grace these things have. I can't wait to get mine to the range.
3guns.jpg

Sarge

Thanks, Timothy. When I started shooting Ruger single actions, my only complaint was that I couldn't get a 45 with fixed sights and the same general lines as Colt's SAA. When the Vaqueros came out I knew I had to have one, although the big 'uns were already discontinued when I found this gun. This one shoots as well as any Blackhawk I ever had and I couldn't be happier with it.

I couldn't agree more, Terminator. My first new gun was a Single Six followed immediately by a replica Griswold and Gunnison .44 cap & ball. Funny thing is that when I went to the KCPD Academy in '80, it was all I could do to fight the urge to cock a DA. Thumb-busters get in the blood. Oh, and dang that's a pretty Uberti!

MashieNiblick

Sarge,

Sitting down here for supper, that was a fantastic piece for this less experienced firearm owner to read, see, feel, and from which to gleen.

Well done, Sir, Thank You, please keep them coming, and ne'er-mind the six. When you're that close it's it.

:cool:

Last edited:

Jim March

Ummmm...what's the story on that Uberti marked "SAA"? Because I'd be willing to bet Uberti didn't put THAT on it. An import house might have been that dumb. Because trust me when I tell ya, Colt's lawyers would go bonkers if they saw that!