Full-body, push through sizer for .308?

Powderman

Hello, all...

Does anyone know of an available die to completely size a .308 Winchester case? I am looking for a push through sizer, like the new Redding .40 die, that takes the whole case completely through the die.

Of course, one for .45 ACP would work well, too.

Any suggestions?

snuffy

Not possible

The .308 case and most bottlenecked cases is tapered, so the only thing that could be sized that way would be the very bottom of the case head. Not necessary because that part of the case does not usually expand.

margiesex

I've got...

Hello - I have a full size re-sizer die for .308, but I know of no "push through" as you're asking about. The bottle neck would prohibit the "through" part, no?

I like mine, but since I only use one .308, I only neck size - same with my .06.

God bless and good shooting.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!

F. Guffey

The 40 S&W has .001 thousands difference in diameter from the mouth of the case to the head of the case, the 45ACP has .007 thousands difference, the head of the case is .476, .006 larger in diameter than the 308 W.

I will assume you want to tighten the primer pocket, reducing the head diameter of the case does not make a small base case, the base of the case does not fit anything, the shell holder prevents the first .125 of the case head from being sized, then there is case head protrusion, the 03 type rifle has .090 and the Mauser 98 type has .110 + or - a few, again, if I wanted to reduce the dimensions of a case I would place a .010 feeler gage between the deck of the shell holder and head of the case, with the die screwed down an additional 1/4 turn (.017 thousands) the shoulder will be moved back an additional .010 thousands, if a Lee shell holder is used the shoulder can be moved back .015 thousands +. I do not know why you would want to do that, I will short chamber a rifle, road test it then decide if I want to start over before completing the chamber.

If the cases are work hardened all bets are off. It is passable to measure the amount of case that is not sized OR did the press size the case or did the case whip the press.

F. Guffey

Powderman,

The .40 S&W push-throughs are to eliminate pregnant case bulging that forms at the unsupported part of a pistol chamber. If you are getting that in a .308, you probably either have a gun that needs work or are running at pressures that are too high. Rifle chambers do not normally have the same degree of unsupported case and don't create the same degree of bulge that the pistol barrels do, and it generally should not be bulging with safe loads. Machinegun ejecta and some attempts to fire .308 brass in the .307 Winchester may create exceptions.