Full Auto G3

sks

Wow! I had the distinct privilege of shooting a full auto G3 this week and it was awesome. I was surprised at how fast it shot and how it rocked me back pretty quickly. Would be fantastic to have one but most expensive to have fun with! :D

RampantAndroid

Having fired a PTR91, I never could get used to the rocker design - my M1A and an AR10 just felt a lot more controllable and comfortable. Have you fired any other 30 cal rifles in full auto to compare this to? Curious how controllable it was :)

Shotgun693

I've used one. If you learn to shoot a 3 shot burst they're great guns. If you're going to shoot it full-auto much then put the bipod on and the added weight up front helps hold it down. I also liked the HK 21 rear sight better.There might still be an after market thick soft rubber butt pad available, makes it easier on the shoulder. The HK doesn't shoot much better than a stock M1A but it does shoot better when the gun is really dirty. The big draw back is that the HK tears up brass more. you'll loose more cases and get fewer reloads. Oh, the G3 doesn't lock back on the last round. I'd load the next to the last round a tracer round and stick in a fresh mag with one round still in the chamber.

sks

Rampant: This was my first full auto experience and while extremely fun it would be extremely expensive for me. :D I can't really compare it to anything else. We actually rented the guns at a range in Vegas.

I've always admired the G3 from the 17 years I lived in El Salvador and saw it in action both with the military and the rebels. The .308 was impressive and I always wanted to shoot it so when the opportunity presented itself i took advantage. I've seen the G3 (or variant) for sale in semi auto before and now that I've shot it, will probably put it on the list of "want to get at some point".

Shotgun: I dearly wish the gun would have had a three round burst but it was semi or full. I shot 7 of 20 rounds semi then went to full auto. It ripped the next 12 in quick succession and rocked me back faster and harder than expected. I'm a whopping 168 lbs so it was inevitable. :)

Unfortunately I don't have a license to own full auto but after that experience I'm definitely going to see about renting them some more. Might go with a smaller caliber next time.

Shotgun693

If you get to shoot it enogh you'll learn trigger control. The usual reflex is to grip with your whole hand trying to control the recoil. This causes you to fire off more rounds than you intend to. If you go to shoot it some more get a coach to help you learn the control you need. Really the 7.62X51 is pretty stout and harder to control than lighter rounds.