Full Auto First Timer Questions

samsmix

I never really had an NFA firearms itch before, even having shot a few full autos. But a week ago I purchased a little Walther P-22 which came with a second barrel bushing that allows the use of a suppressor....

...and now I have the itch.

It seems to me that I simply cannot afford to up and buy a fully automatic firearm. They just cost too much, so my question is this: is there a cheaper way? I know that I can register a home made silencer, but surely I cannot build a machine gun...right?

Sharkbite

No you cant

No new civilian ownable machine guns after 1986. Thats the reason the current ones are SO expensive. Supply and demand.

Suppressors and shortbarreled shotguns and rifles can still be made for civilian ownership.

samsmix

That sucks, but it answers my question. An SBR might be in my future, but I had hoped for a nice, fun, 9mm subgun as well. No biggie, I can make due without.

Sharkbite

You CAN replicate a full auto experience using one of the "slide-fire" stocks.

Full auto is fun but quickly gets expensive to feed the beast. Not real practical, but puts a nice smile on your face.

Theohazard

mardanlin said:
I was to understand you could legally acquire a DIAS and make an AR full auto. Is this not true?
Yes, but in that case the DIAS itself has to have been manufactured and registered prior to the cutoff date in 1986, and because of that they're still very expensive.

Sharkbite

Exactly this^^^

A REGISTERED dias is less expensive then a true M16 lower, but it doesnt make it an economy project by any means.

And finding a RDIAS for sale is not easy. There is a user on this forum Machineguntony that posts about his hunt for RDIAS and M16 lowers. You are still into the 10's of thousands of dollars when you find one.

At this point in time, full auto is a rich mans hobby. Both from the initial purchase, thru the feeding of the beast. If you have the disposable income to get into it... By all means, go for it.

From a practical standpoint, im sticking with semi's and an educated trigger finger

Skans

I was to understand you could legally acquire a DIAS and make an AR full auto. Is this not true?

Installing a DIAS (registered or not) alone will not make an AR-15 full-auto. You can look into the legalities of simply owning a "pre-81" DIAS - possessing one is "iffy" and likely out-right illegal (I'll let others argue the legalities of owning one as I don't really care about this - you could write a book on it).

Also, a registered DIAS generally sells for the same, if not more, than a registered M16. This is because the RDIAS can be used with a wide variety of lowers configured for cartridges other than 5.56. It used to be the other way around, but when they started making pistol caliber lowers, the RDIAS's became more valuable. Other factors, like whether the DIAS is made out of stainless or aluminum factor into price as well. FWIW, the going rate for an RDIAS is roughly $25,000, when you can find one.

In any event, I could never stomach paying crazy $$$ for such a cheesy chunk of crap. I'm quite happy with my AC556 which I would actually rather have than a DIAS or M16 if prices were identical for all 3. Granted, the cheesy chunk of crap will likely appreciate at a higher rate than my AC556 from an investment standpoint. And those who need full-auto in a variety of cartridges and/or destroy barrels from sustained fire are surely better off with an RDIAS or M16.

Now, don't get me started on lightning links......

Last edited: