FTF with New .22 Magnum Rifle

tedwhite

I tried out my new Henry .22 magnum WMR yesterday and had several failures to ignite - apparently light strikes. Is this common with rimfire rifles? I know this sounds stupid, but I've never owned one before.

When I recycled the FTF rounds the second time they fired.

The FTF occurred on average about once out of 20 rounds. I'm beginning to suspect there's something wrong with the rifle, not the Ammo, which was Remington Premier Magnum Rimfire 33 Grain ACCUTIP-V.

Last edited:

2spurrs

Ted
Many new guns have initial problems - especially if they have not been cleaned of preservative and relubricated. It is very possible the hammer or firing pin is being slowed down by factory preservative lube.

2nd get a different brand of ammo and try that. You will want to do this for accuracy testing as well so this is good for 2 reasons.

3rd Check out others experience with Henry rimfires.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67

CraigC

I too would suspect the rifle. I can't remember the last time I had a .22Mag misfire, if ever. I would disassemble the bolt and check the firing pin and firing pin channel for burrs or debris. Check to see if anything is impeding the hammer's travel. Inspect the hammer for anywhere where it's heavily rubbing on the frame.

tedwhite

I was just told by a rimfire expert here in town that if I don't completely return the lever to its fully closed position that could cause a light strike. And, being unfamiliar with lever action weapons I quite probably did that.

2spurrs, thanks. I'll check that site.