• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

FS/FT sections... Tuttle?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Why does it seem that the preponderance of threads started in this help section are related to the FS/FT sections? Is it that tuttle is narcissistic or that the thread starters (or those who cannot) just fail to read the rules? Maybe tuttle expects just too much of folks...:D
Brent

JohnKSa

Administrator
My take?

One TFL moderator has defined a "Sticky" thread as a clever means of hiding information from the members. :D

Mal H

Staff
Oh, he definitely is. We have discussed this amongst the staff many times. If you want to hide something from the membership, put it in a sticky at the top of the forum! Seriously.

It's like Edgar Allan Poe's "Purloined Letter" - hidden in plain sight.

passintime

John/Mal,

I own a forum myself and it is SO TRUE about sticky's. If I want something to be communicated to the membership I do NOT sticky it. It never gets read! :p

rantingredneck

As a mod on our local forum, yes, I concur. Stickies are the best way to make sure the membership will NEVER read the rules. It's best to let them float to the bottom of the section as we all know those 5 and 6 year old threads are very popular with new members with their newfound powers of necromancy.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
How about an automatic pop-up whenever someone starts a thread in buy/sell section?

Maybe it could be made to only do it the first time? I don't know.

Mal H

Staff
A very good suggestion, pk, but we are loathe to hack the vbulletin software with our own code. It causes some minor headaches at version upgrade time. Besides we really don't have anyone on staff with the knowledge to do that.

As an aside, I don't visit any, but I'll bet forums dedicated to computer geeks are just chock full of all kinds of bells, whistles, and widgets. :)

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Mal H said:
It causes some minor headaches at version upgrade time. Besides we really don't have anyone on staff with the knowledge to do that.

If you know it well enough to know that it causes headaches then you've got me beat!:)

How about an automatic pop-up whenever someone starts a thread in buy/sell section?

Problem is, Peetza, there will ALWAYS be some way for a member to "not see it" or "didn't receive enough help". No matter how much effort we put forth to make things as simple and smooth as possible, it will never be enough to satisfy everyone. So, we have to draw the line somewhere.

By the way, that was a very good suggestion...