Frustrated with Ohio Concealed Carry

Sevens

Ohio finally passed legislation in '04 (I think) that allowed Ohioans to carry concealed. But as I recall, it got pushed through legislation with all kinds of fighting on both sides and what we ended up with was a poorly written law.

It seems that if you are licensed to carry concealed in Ohio, you still aren't allowed to carry concealed in your car.

To quote from the guide (from the Attorney General of the State of Ohio)
You may not transport a loaded, concealed handgun in a vehicle unless it is carried in one of the three following ways:
  • In a holster on your person that is in plain sight. So far, the Ohio Supreme Court has not defined the term "plain sight" precisely in the context of carrying a concealed handgun. However, in other contexts, courts have generally held that the term "plain sight" is a common sense term that means clearly visible or unobstructed.
  • In a closed, locked glove compartment; or
  • In a case that is in plain sight and that is locked.
What?! If you have a license to carry concealed, you must conceal it while walking down the street. Sit in your car, and you need to dig out some funky hunting holster and toss it over your shoulder?

Also, this screws over folks like myself who ride a motorcycle. Am I supposed to holster and unholster a sidearm every time I throw a leg over my bike? How long before someone accuses me of brandishing?

I suppose the point of this thread is to ask any Ohio folks who have their concealed carry license what they think, what they do, and if they have an idea if there's hope that this legislation will be amended.

This isn't the only problem with Ohio's concealed carry... it's just one of the most idiotic. Your opinions would help me!

HDDeluxe

Since you ride, you might be interested in the holster rig I use on my bike. It seems like it would fit Ohio's law and still make it easy on you. It works for me. See my thread on riding and carrying in this forum.

Sevens

Deluxe I did see that thread and it looks like an interesting setup. I doesn't really address the problem of holstering, unholstering, etc, but it looks like a decent way to carry.

Harry, I don't get much comfort from the fact that others live in even more restrictive places. You get my sympathy, but just the fact that it's worse in Chicago or MA or CA or NYC doesn't make me feel any better. :mad:

Mr.RevolverGuy

I really do not have time but wanted to clear this up :) Look on page 19 of the new book. As a matter of fact it has swung totally. Now it has to be in a holster secured on your person.

Kreyzhorse

I really do not have time but wanted to clear this up Look on page 19 of the new book. As a matter of fact it has swung totally. Now it has to be in a holster secured on your person.

I live in Kentucky and occasionally carry in Ohio. Thankfully the law has been changed you no longer have to conceal it in plain sight while in a car.

Stupid law the way it was originally written.

tecdv

You can find a copy of the new Ohio CWW handbook at:
http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/pubs/cc_booklet20070314.pdf

HB347 went into effect on March 14, 2007, things are still not great, but it is an improvement over the original law. Below you will find the updated law regarding vehicle carry. Please read the entire booklet at the above URL to ensure you are good to go.

Transporting in Motor Vehicles

The transportation of loaded, concealed handguns in motor vehicles is
permitted, but strict obligations are imposed by the law to protect you
and law enforcement. These obligations apply to drivers and occupants.
These obligations do not apply if you are not transporting a loaded,
concealed handgun inside the vehicle.

You may not have a loaded handgun in the vehicle if you are under the
influence of drugs or alcohol. You may not transport a loaded, concealed
handgun in a vehicle unless it is carried in one of the following ways:

1. The loaded handgun is in a holster secured on the person. Ohio law
previously required carrying firearms in holsters in plain sight. The
“plain sight” provision has been removed from the law.

2. The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container
that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism
with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism
must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun, or

3. The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed,
locked glove compartment or in a case that is locked.

Motorcycles fall under the definition of motor vehicles. Thus, the
same requirements apply to licensees who carry a handgun while on a
motorcycle.

dakota223

i carry in my car daily and i live in ohio. on person in plain sight tuck your shirt behind your holster when you get pulled over. or keep it tucked behind your holster while driving its as simple as that.

Sevens

This is what I was hoping for! The guide that I have is one I picked up from a Sheriff's office in late fall of '06. I had no idea that they took their heads outta their butts and amended it.

Thank you, folks!

tecdv

i carry in my car daily and i live in ohio. on person in plain sight tuck your shirt behind your holster when you get pulled over. or keep it tucked behind your holster while driving its as simple as that.

You don't need to keep in "in plain sight" any longer. That part of the law changed when HB347 went into effect March 14, 2007. See post above with link to the new updated handbook.

dakota223

but i allways will tuck my shirt behind my holster when getting pulled over for one good reason when my hands are in plain view my pistol is as well and we all know how green some state highway patrol officers are same as i will allways ask if they want to brandish my firearm within the stop it puts the ball in there court makes them more comfortable been stopped 3 times and got by with a warning each time and thanked for how i handled myself once stopped by a columbus police officer and twice by a fairfield county sheriff