Front Strap Checking on 1911s: Yay or Nay

Do you like front strap checking on 1911s?

• Yes

Votes: 42 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TunnelRat

As the title suggests, do you like, dislike, or not care either way when it comes to front strap checking on 1911s? I notice that on more expensive 1911s front strap checking is often included. I get that this is another production step and would add to the cost. I'm wondering if it's added just because people expect it at those prices or because people really like it.

For reference, the Wilson I own has 25 lpi checking and I like it. The TRP I've handled with 20 lpi checking was too aggressive for my liking.

-TR

Last edited:

Forte S+W

It doesn't really make a difference to me. I own a few guns with checkering on the front of the grip, but it neither bothers me nor strikes me as substantially beneficial, so I could take it or leave it.
That said, most of the time checked front straps on grips cost extra on all-metal guns like the 1911, and I personally wouldn't pay extra for it.

RickB

I like front strap traction, but don't care if it's checkering or tape.
A custom gun should have checkering, but I wouldn't base a purchase decision on presence or absence.

44 AMP

Staff
Checkered front grip frame? no, thanks.

Checkered rubber grips that wrap around the front grip frame? YES!!

Checkering the front of the grip frame is permanent, and depending on who does it, can be too sharp and uncomfortable, or even to coarse to be useful. Really a matter of personal preference.

Rubber grips that wrap around the front of the frame work well for me. "locking" the gun into my grip. Plus, they aren't a permanent alteration to the gun, so if you change your mind, easily removed. Also, the same applies to selling the gun. Some folks won't want it if it has had the frame checkered.

dgludwig

I like having checkering on the front straps of most pistols, especially 1911s. I think 25 lpi is a good compromise between being too rough, causing abrasion, and being too smooth, sacrificing traction. Too, I think a good checkering job adds to the looks of a pistol, at least to my eyes.

TunnelRat

Rubber grips that wrap around the front of the frame work well for me. "locking" the gun into my grip. Plus, they aren't a permanent alteration to the gun, so if you change your mind, easily removed. Also, the same applies to selling the gun. Some folks won't want it if it has had the frame checkered.

I’m primarily thinking about checkering from the perspective of it coming that way from the manufacturer, not a permanent alteration after the fact. You’re right that there will be those that like it or not, but in my experience permanent alterations that are part of the factory configuration hurt resale less than ones done by an owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharkbite

I went with stippling on the front strap of my serious use 1911. Not as abrasive as checkering. Gives plenty of traction without tearing up hands or clothes. On a hard use gun those matter, IMHO

Nathan

Checkering is a must for me. I just replaced a 1911 for that reason....to get checkering.

Love the new one!

JustJake

On a fighting 1911? ... If Sgt. York didn't need it, neither do you. :rolleyes:

On a range toy or a barbecue "show-n-tell" piece, it doesn't matter.

TunnelRat

On a fighting 1911? ... If Sgt. York didn't need it, neither do you. :rolleyes:

On a range toy or a barbecue "show-n-tell" piece, it doesn't matter.

Lots of things didn’t exist during WWI. That doesn’t mean I don’t like them now or that Sgt York wouldn’t have appreciated having them then.

Sevens

I really want front strap checkering on my Coonan Classic. Furthermore, I honestly feel like I really need it also. I've used the 3M tape. It works for shooting, it looks terrible but the real problem I have is that the gritty part separates from the adhesive part, leaving the adhesive behind. It's not at all the solution I desire.

I would love to have someone deft with a file and some experience checker the front strap (and them maybe the MSH too?) for me.

10-96

I voted NO, however, as with most of my thinkinology there's a caveat to that. I think if I had a nicer stainless 1911- a little mild checkering, lines, or something up there wouldn't bother me.

TunnelRat

I really want front strap checkering on my Coonan Classic. Furthermore, I honestly feel like I really need it also. I've used the 3M tape. It works for shooting, it looks terrible but the real problem I have is that the gritty part separates from the adhesive part, leaving the adhesive behind. It's not at all the solution I desire.

I would love to have someone deft with a file and some experience checker the front strap (and them maybe the MSH too?) for me.

Yeah I’ve had issue with the adhesive separating as well.

Sgt127

My buddy is an original IPSC champion. Absolutely hates checkering. He likes the ability to make last nano second adjustments to his grip.

I’ve carried a 1911 for about 20 years as a duty gun. Any serious fighting 1911 needs checkering as far as I’m concerned. When it’s 105 degrees. You are drenched in sweat and grappling around with somebody, and it’s time for a gun, that smooth sexy range gun feels like a bar of wet soap.

My Wilson (I’m seriously dating myself, Master Grade 130) has sharp checkered micarta and 25 LPI checkering and, a checkered flat MS housing.

jr24

Absolutely yes if its a shooter, IMO, so much of the grip is made easier with very good purchase on the front and rear straps.

My 1911s that didn't come factory checkered all have skateboard tape on the front strap.

Brownstone322

Of my three 1911s (two Colts and a Ruger), only my Colt Lightweight Commander has some form of texture on the front of the grip. (In this case it's serrations, but I will assume that counts.)

I much prefer the serrations to smooth.

Hawg

I had one checkered once and I liked it but I wouldn't pay to have another one checkered. I had wraparound grips on another one but they made it feel too fat so I cut the front strap off. I'll just leave mine smooth.

dahermit

Checkering is not needed if one uses grips that wrap around like these. Also note the rubber covered main spring housing. Very comfortable, very secure grip when firing. Does not permanently alter the gun.
enhance