Front Slide Serations: Do you use them?

Do you use the front slide serrations on pistols?

• Yes

Votes: 42 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 101 70.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TunnelRat

Hey all,
I was curious how many of us actually use the front serrations that seem to be the craze these days on newer pistols. Go back some time and they were almost non existent whereas now they seem like a staple.

Personally I just picked up my first gun with them, an XD 45 compact. I actually found I really like them. Through a series of injuries my left hand/wrist has somewhat limited mobility. I found the front serrations actually made racking the slide a much more pleasant experience. I was also amazed at how quickly I got used to the act of using them. I find myself reaching for them on pistols I know don't have them :):eek:.

What do others think? Is this a useful feature or a fad that will disappear in a few years?

-TR

Doug B.

I prefer to use the rear serrations although I do have the fronts on my Beretta. I like to keep my hand away from the end of the barrel that "bites" at all times!

Adamantium

Like them or not, they are here to stay. Rails, serrations, changable backstraps, whatever, etc. All here to stay. It's the concept for putting a $10 feature on a gun and selling it for $30 more.

But I won't lie, I use front slide serations to do chamber checks and slide locks. Still prefer to slingshot from the rear though.

Micahweeks

I've done security screening before and had to hold people's firearms during special events (if I had my way, I'd let them keep their guns, but, unfortunately, the local government doesn't leave it up to me). When we take them, we always drop the mag, empty the chamber, and place the gun and mags in property lockers. Guns with front slide serrations are much quicker to do this with. I can catch the ejecting cartridge with the palm of my hand as I pull the slide back. I can do the same thing without them most of the time. It's really just a convenience. My Glocks don't have them, and I have no problem doing the same thing. But, I use them if they are there.

Yung.gunr

I mainly don't use them because it doesn't feel as natural to me.

Not against them in any way. The look doesn't even bother me one way or the other.

Just don't use them...

mitranoc

I used to have a Kimber Raptor II that had them. I never used them and personally think they're an eyesore.

SHNOMIDO

find them useful when press checking. voted yes.

ive been practicing racking the slide pushing instead of pulling. Ive been taking a class and the instructor is teaching us to use gross motor skills to reload and cock because you lose fine motor skills in an intense situation. So i would actually like some "Middle" serrations. My new technique is grabbing it overhand around the middle and pushing it like a fly-exercise.

drail

The old "fine motor skills go away thing"....... Good luck aligning your sights and pulling that trigger with your all of your fine motor skills gone. You really need to get a new instructor. Your current one doesn't know what he's talking about.

Last edited:

TheGoldenState

I don't use them. Ever.

They look good on a select few, but not on the majority, imo.

Goes well on my TRP

(not mine in picture)

images

C0untZer0

When dry firing my Glock, I move the slide from the front, it's easier for me to do it that way. I found when I tried to use the rear seration I occasionally pull the slide back too far and my SnapCap come tumbling out. I also like to look right down into the chamber to see the SnapCap and it's easier to do if I push the slide back from the front. But technically - I'm not using serations, there aren't any front serations on my 17L.

It's just the quickest easiest way for me to push the slide back, but I don't clear the pistol that way.

My Glock isn't loaded when it's in my house - I only load it on the firing line at the range, it's a range gun.

But still, the first time I take it out of the case, I clear it. Rule number 1 is always treat all firearms as if they are loaded. I wouldn't put my hand in front of a loaded weapon. Of course there is rule number 2 - and I don't want to destroy my hand so I don't let the muzzle cover my hand.

It may just be a bad practice pushing the slide from the front.

TunnelRat

I've never really been worried about it from a "shoot my hand" point of view. I keep my finger out of the trigger guard when manipulating the slide. :)

SHNOMIDO

wow drail harsh.

"Good luck aligning your sights and pulling that trigger with your all of your fine motor skills gone."

i guess thats why the majority of police shootings are something like empty magazine and 3 hits at point blank range. those fine motor skills really kick in when the chips are down.

front slide serrations help with cocking and "boomeranging" using the overhand/push method. This is an appropriate method for people with arthritis, the elderly, or poor upper body strength like an average woman or child. Its also a fine way to train for a high stress situation where you're gaining more grip and strength when you may be shaky or distracted.

also its awkward to do it the traditional way without advertising you're empty or reloading. you can keep your muzzle on target when cocking overhand.

Thats my story and im sticking to it.

I ask YOU- whats the advantage to doing it the "James Bond" way, grip the back and pull with one hand? if theres no key advantages to doing it either way, its merely style and preference. And i would argue that overhand is the superior technique for the above reasons.

You gain grip and strength BECAUSE you're using gross motor skills. Combat or self defense is no place for a delicate touch. Youre going to be doing everything at double intensity anyways because of the adrenaline, you might as well train that way.

Last edited:

C0untZer0

I'd like middle serrations.

That's where my fingers end up with an over-hand grasp of the slide.

Would also make it a little easier to move the slide back for take down.

But does Glock listen me?

No. :(

44 AMP

Staff
I don't own any gun that has them, so I don't use them.

The problem with the front ones is hand near/over the muzzle. NEVER a good idea, in my book.

Front slide serrations showed up when people started putting optical sights on competition pistols, blocking easy access to the standard rear gripping area.

I don't mind the look, but I don't think I would use them, even if I had a gun with them. Half century of habit gripping the slide at the back is hard to break.

Adamantium

Sometimes fine motor skills go away, sometimes they don't. It depends on the person, the situation, their exposure to it, time factors, other stuff. We had a saying "Overcome by events", and its true. I've had to help someone in Iraq load their rifle, while at one point it took me at least 10-15 seconds to remember where the bolt release on mine was. Just this weekend I took my uncle to our very first Steel Challenge match and watched him mind dump his 18 years of qualifing with an M9 for the first 2 stages.

Although I do agree to a certain extent your instructor should be putting you in a stressful situation when you will need to calm down and use fine motor skills, how you rack your slide is really a moot point. And I'm pretty sure this thread isn't about that.

psyfly

I think I may have owned a pistol or two that had them, but, no, I don't use them.

I don't think I can go all the way to "eyesore" but I, also, don't like the way they look.