Front Sight Alignment Preban AK47 56S-1

texfar

Hi All, just bought an AK47 56S-1 Norinco sight unseen. After returning from across the pond, I see that it is 99% but the front sight seems canted a few degrees to the left looking down the sights. I know this is not right, but how does one go about correcting it???? Not going to mess with it without further info.
Thanks for all input, Ken

halfcocked

Are you sure the whole site tower is canted or is it just the center post that has been shifted to the side making it look canted? Many aks need the center post shifted a bit to make it shoot straight. They can have the tower canted though as I had an Egyptian one have that problem. With the post shifted all the way to one side, it still wouldn't shoot straight. Personally, as long as I was able to get it to shoot straight by shifting the post, I wouldn't worry about a minor cant in it.

I took my Egyptian one to a gunsmith to correct, but they still didn't fix it 100% but it now shoots straight. I'm not sure the best way to fix the problem myself. If I were set on attempting it though, I'd remove the pins holding on the site base. Try to rotate the site on the barrel (I'm sure a feat in itself as they can be tough to budge). I figure depending on the amount of cant though, the pin holes may need to be re-drilled and oversized pins installed.

texfar

Thanks for the input Halfcocked, yes, the tower is canted. Will Gently knock the pins out and see what I have after that. Have a very good smith up the road here that might be able to help if that doesn't help. Have a shooter, this one is a pre-ban beauty. Will advise as to outcome. Again, thanks. ken

Hedley

My Romanian has a mean front sight block cant too. I was told to drill out the two pins and re-stake them with slightly larger pins. I can get it to shoot fairly straight, but looking down a bent sight picture is annoying. I ended up just throwing a POSP scope on it so I can shoot 10" groups without squinting.:D
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/cant.htm

AK103K

How bad is the cant? I have a SAR that has a slight cant to it, but it doesnt seem to affect accuracy. It is a little annoying if you let it bother you, but not the end of the world. I have seen some that were REALLY bad and was surprised anyone would buy it or even put it on the rack for sale.

If your going to attempt it yourself, take a close look at the pins. I believe most are tapered and go in and come out only one way.

You may also want to check out the Ultimak rails and an Aimpoint. They bring the AK right along into the 21st century with the AR's. :)