Front serrations on slides?

Timbow

Why do manufacturers put serrations on the front of so many of their slides? I don't see the purpose other than cosmetics (and IMO they don't look that good). Using proper technique, a shooter shouldn't ever have to grab the front of the slide for any reason. Just curious.

drail

It comes from the early days of IPSC competition (I was there) when guys started mounting red dot sights that were as big as a Coke can on their 1911s. You could not grab the rear of the slide to rack because the sight and mount were in the way. Custom smiths started milling front serrations. Then everyone started using slide rackers mounted in the unused dovetail for the rear sight. I never used either front or rear serrations for racking. I just squeeze the slide just ahead of the ejection port. Most race guns are sprung pretty lightly.

Skans

Sometimes they look good to me. Just depends. I like good looking guns. Other than that, I don't have any function for them.

jimbob86

Seems to me they would act as saw teeth on leather holsters..... they add nothing to functionality. A net minus.

KyJim

Some shooters like front serrations in 1911s because they aid in press checking without putting fingers in front of the muzzle. I have a couple with front serrations but prefer going without.

Gary Wells

Aesthetically, I don't care for them, but they do allow you to do a "press check" as and when necessary.

Oops, my bad. Sorry KYJim, was typing when you answered.

armoredman

Grasp front serrations, turn pistol up side down, rack, chambered round pops into your palm. No chasing.:p
Other than that, nope.

bjones870

Ive noticed a lot of women, who have trouble chambering in an auto, use them quite frequently. I actually talked to a woman who was looking at an XDM, which I happen to own one, and she did chambered using front serrations. It was just instinctive. Idk why manufacturers do it. But someone uses them haha

orionengnr

Some shooters like front serrations in 1911s because they aid in press checking without putting fingers in front of the muzzle.
Hmmm...help me understand this logic.

Grasping the slide by the front serrations assists in safely press-checking without putting digits in front of the muzzle.....how?

As opposed to grasping the slide by the rear serrations, which place one's fingers ~ 3" farther aft of the muzzle, and which have served admirably for 100 years or so...

Really?

Jason_G

Hmmm...help me understand this logic.

Grasping the slide by the front serrations assists in safely press-checking without putting digits in front of the muzzle.....how?

As opposed to grasping the slide by the rear serrations, which place one's fingers ~ 3" farther aft of the muzzle, and which have served admirably for 100 years or so...

Really?

Amen. Not to say the folks that use the front serrations are "doing it wrong", but I never understood it, and still don't. Like you, the rear serrations work just great for me.

Jason

JR_Roosa

When you press check using the front serrations it's hard to rack the slide far enough to eject the round, which is nice.

I don't think they're worth it for that. There are other ways to do a press check. I don't like the aesthetics and they really increase the friction of drawing from my leather holster.

Unfortunately they cut them on many of the pistols I like and you can't really get rid of them once they're there.

J.

SHNOMIDO

I like em and consider them a plus.

just my two cents. they dont bother me and they help with press checking and dis assembly.

if your slide serrations are harming your holster, you need to write an angry letter to the manufacturer for having serrations machined like a cheese grater, or stop making your own holsters from newspaper and buy one made out of leather.

if its messing up your gear, what the heck is it doing to your hand?!?

edit- Read JR's post. now draw friction is an argument i can respect. Personally doesnt affect me, but its a point i can roll with.

Jason_G

Todd Jarrett likes to use them.

So should I buy a Para because that's what he shoots too? Wonder what kind of underwear he has on, maybe I should switch to that too.

Not trying to be snarky or rude, but sometimes a little reductio ad absurdum helps clarify things.

Todd Jarrett is a sponsored shooter. I imagine he shoots what he gets paid to shoot. I know a guy that is sponsored by S&W. Guess what he shoots?

Jason

JR_Roosa

Yeah the square cut colt serrations are really sticky in the holster. If they were cut like traditional serrations they'd be sticky going in but not as much coming out.

J.

Discern

@ Jason_G

Why the attitude? What I stated was that Todd Jarrett seems to like front serrations. I don't see me mentioning using a Para or the underwear of Todd Jarrett (you can contact him to see what he wears). Todd Jarrett uses front serrations well and his movements are very efficient. His support hand can always stay in front of his strong hand. Nothing ever comes between the sights of the firearm and his eyes. The OP asked about the usefulness of front serrations, and I replied with a post of a video with someone who uses them.