From the inbox at CPHV.com

John/az2

Recieved yesterday:

By using the MMM logo you are violating the law. If you believe in the law and the rights of others you should make your own logo instead of stealing from others. Maybe you should check with your own mother before creating such a despicable comparison. Mothers are marching to save lives in their homes and communities not to become victims of gun carrying idiots with a fantasy to be heroes. Read the real research and God help you if you ever become a gun victim because of your misguided convictions.
WFD

My reply:

WFD,

What I belive in is personal responsibility and the enumerated rights in the US Constitution's Bill of Rights. Unfortunately the "law" often crosses the boundries that our founding fathers, in their wisdom and experience, set up to restrict the intrusion of government into the daily lives of the people. This allows growth and the exercise of that great personal quality called "resposibility". But many of the laws that we have today are the result of groups of individually weak people crying about their lack of personal integrity, responsibility, and consideration disguised as a desire to "save the children" or "discrimination" who have turned toward the government to "solve" their problem. While I respect the law, I do not respect the assumption of power beyond the limitations that were set up at our countries birth.

Mothers are marching ignorantly. While I deeply respect their desire to provide a safe environment for their children, I deplore their direction, and their methods. These "laws" that they are pushing to be passed will do nothing to deter the criminal, or the determinded individual. They only serve to make it more difficult for the law-abiding to responsibly exercise their right to self-defense, should they feel the need.

We have 4 children, and my wife and I take an entirely different approach to gun control. Instead of teaching our children that the inanimate object, the gun, is something to be feared, we teach them that it is something to be respected, because of it's power to maim or kill. We teach them the proper mind-set when they take a gun in hand. We teach them the four rules of firearm safety that when followed, would reduced accidental deaths to nearly nothing. And that when the gun is used properly it can be a very effective tool. We do this the same way that we teach them respect for the power and weight of our cars, that maim and kill more children annually than do firearms.

Guns serves a purpose in our society, even if it is a very narrow one, it's purpose is still vital. There are many who have been grateful that it has been available to them.

Education is by far a more effective tool to use than any law that could be added to the 10's of thousands that already weigh us down. These mothers could more effectively use their time by leaving the line and getting the facts about firearms and then teaching them to their children. That would be REAL strength, not this showy puffed up pretentiousness that they know what is best for me and my children.

"Gun carrying idiots who fantasize about being heros" can be found in the military and the police departments just as easily as they can be found in your next-door neighbors. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the desire to preserve life even if it means taking the life of another who is deserving of such action.

When it comes down to the choice, who's life would YOU rather sacrifice, your son's/daughter's or the criminal's who would drag them off to do whatever was in his heart to do to them?

Without the option you would have no effective choice, because yelling at them that what they are doing is against the law is as effective as writing me about the use of the MMM logo.

Sincerely,

John (a gun owner, father, and lover of responsibly excercised freedoms)
webmaster cphv.com

Nice letter, witty and polite at the same time. I wish I could write so concisely at times. I tend to let myself get bogged down in the details and forget the overall point.

John/az2

Thanks, Bartholomew.

Here is the reply to my response:
Dear John,

Again you are missing the point and diverting the argument. I don't want to take away your gun. I want common sense legislation that informs the public and aids law enforcement to help prevent needless gun deaths. You keep diverting the argument to taking away guns and avoiding the issue because the only argument you seem to have is the slippery slope.

As a responsible gun owner isn't in your best interest to know something about the person you are selling a gun too? If there was a national database that everyone could check before they sell a hand gun to a stranger that would determine if they were a felon or under age or mentally unstable wouldn't that make you feel better? What if you did sell a gun through the classifieds that a guy ends up shooting his wife with. Wouldn't you like to have a way to know this guy shouldn't have a gun? That would be the responsible thing to do.

WFD

WFD,

I do not believe I am missing the point, nor diverting the argument.

Just what is a felon? Is it what the government says it is? If so, then there are thousands of people who are felons who have produced not one physical victim. The actions that they were found guilty of were not done against a physical entity, but against the government's list of pre-approved behaviors.

And then even those that have been found guilty of a felony against another individual that have been released from prison have paid their debt to society, and I believe, should have their rights restored. If this is not the case, they should NOT be out on the street until that debt IS paid.

You are calling for a background check for gun purchases. Well, why single out guns? Why not have background checks for vehicles, knives, power tools, ladders, etc.? Wouldn't this help reduce needless, "Vehicle deaths", "Knife deaths" and "Hardware deaths"? What about purchasers of swimming pools? Surely a background check would reduce the number of "pool deaths". Do you drink? Maybe you should be denied the purchase of a car.

Let's get back to the basics one more time. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY ACTIONS, and paying the price of exercising them through the consequences (good or bad) that they bring about.

What an individual does with a gun after purchasing it from me is not my responsibility unless I know beforehand the intent of the purchaser. A background check only checks history, not the future, and denying an individual based solely upon the past is the presumption of guilt for a future that has not occurred. This is in direct opposition to the "innocent until proven guilty" principle that is the very foundation of how our judicial system is supposed to operate. If I DID know the intended use of the gun I most assuredly would NOT sell a gun to that individual, and if I did, then I would be partially responsible for the malicious results. However, science has yet to invent the "intent-o-meter" so I can accurately screen an individual who wants to buy a gun from me.

Now, assuming that the buyer made no indications of his malicious intent and I sold the gun to him, and it was used to commit murder or theft, then that individual is solely responsible for his actions and the full weight of the law should be brought upon him, and he should suffer the consequences of his actions. Unfortunately, this is not the case most of the time. The judicial system is compromised, and if the guilty are not let off with a warning or a symbolic slap on the wrist, they are paroled much sooner than the completion of their sentence.

But, let's mention another item that the law cannot effectively take into consideration. People DO change, and a denial by background check condemns them for life to either live without those rights, or resort back to breaking the law in order to exercise those rights. So we end up creating more criminals, by definition of the law. And then we hear more crying about how we need yet ANOTHER law to stop this behavior. So we create more criminals... And the cycle continues, viciously.

Who determines who goes on the list of those to be denied the right of self-defense? Who says, "You are too mentally unstable to own a weapon." Who do we trust to do such a thing? And what does age have to do with the issue? I know some children who are more responsible that some adults I know. The teaching of responsibility, and the extension of privileges is the job of the parents, not the government or any of its branches.

And finally, I'll tell you what the responsible thing to do is:

Let's get the parents back into the home teaching true and time tested principles, and be closely involved in their children's lives, and activities.

Let's reduce the tax burdens placed upon them by our government so that they CAN afford to do that. (Do you realize that we pay nearly 54% of all our income through some sort of tax?)

If we do this we won't need these ineffective laws, and I believe with all my heart that we will see this country return to its greatness within the next 2-3 generations.

The MMM is concerning itself with the symptoms of a deeply rooted sickness, and the solutions that it proposes are mere bandages upon a malignant growth, And while they create the appearance of a cure, they only mask the real sickness.

Sincerely,

John

SamAdams

Nice John.

I want common sense legislation that informs the public and aids law enforcement to help prevent needless gun deaths.

There's so many things wrong with that sentence, it hurts my brain....

hehe

Lennyjoe

John, I salute you for your continuing effort to support our rights and educate those who fail to see both sides of the fence. We should all in some form or another, whether its a simple discussion with an anti-gun advocate or to speaking out to the public or our congressman, do what we can to protect our rights to self protection.

OF

Go get her, John! A couple more 'high-road' exchanges and her brain-clutch may start to disengage.

- Gabe