From a no cwp state, what are my rights?

My870inVT

So I live in the "great" state of Vermont. We have VERY liberal gun laws. I can carry what I want, when I want. So what is up when I go out of state? I know a lot of states honor other states cwp's but what about a state that doesn't require one?

Basically do I need a permit in states I don't live in, because I live in a state the does not require one?

NavyLT

My870inVT said:
Basically do I need a permit in states I don't live in, because I live in a state the does not require one?

Yes. You will have to get a non-resident permit. Utah non-resident is a popular one.

As far as I know, the only two states you can conceal carry in without a permit are AK and VT.

You can open carry in those states where open carry is legal without a permit.

indiandave

carryconcealed.net says North Dakota, Louisiana and Alaska. Why not apply for a New hampshire permit. It's right next door to you.

Sevens

I was under the impression that Vermont offered a carry permit for those who wanted one, simply to use for reciprocity? Or maybe that was Alaska.

In any case, yep -- apply for a license from one of the states that does issue to non-residents. Florida is quite popular. $117, good for 7 years. NH used to be cheap, but they just quintupled their fees. I know PA offers a decent one, and for cheap but some counties are more likely to issue than others.

And look in to Vermont to see if they offer a license for those who request one.

Most of the info you need on all of these states is available at handgunlaw.us

knight0334

You can also get a PA LTCF and are exempt of the requirement of having a license from your home state since VT doesn't issue them.

PA's LTCF is $25 by statutory fee, but some counties bump it up a bit. Centre County Sheriff Denny Nau issues to non-residents just the same as residents.

Our license doesn't cover as many states as FL or UT, but its a hellava lot cheaper and no bullcrap training is required. It is also issued in 45 days by law, some are instantly issued depending on county and work load. Sheriff Nau issues them as soon as the PICS/NICS approval is done - you can have yours back well within 2 weeks.

My870inVT

Knight... Good to know. Sounds like PA or NH might be my best options. Thanks you everyone or your input, this site is great. Feel free to post tho if you have personal experience with my situation.

Crankylove

As posted above, the Utah permit is a good option. Utah's permit is honored in 28 states for a non-resident, 32 states for resident permits. Here is a pretty good site for information on the different states CCW permit requirements, and where the permit is honored http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Hellbilly5000

can any one direct me to the utah chl site or does anyone know any instructors in the south texas area (San Antonio and south will work)

Hook686

The site you were given above http://www.handgunlaw.us/ ... click the 'non-resident permits' tab on the left. It will take you to the information you seek. Note: Nevada no longer honors Florida, or Utah non-resident permits.

Last edited:

Wuchak

You can find a nationwide list of instructors certified to give the Utah training at Utah's website http://www.des.utah.gov/bci/concealedinstructors.html

The FL permit, which covers about the same states, just requires a certain type of training, like an NRA course, but not one from a special FL certified trainer which might make finding a suitable course easier. If you have a hunting license and took a safety course in your state that will cover FL's requirement.

From the FL CCW application form:

QUESTION 6
ACCEPTABLE TRAINING DOCUMENTATION
1. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes listed below. Do not send your original certificate
because it cannot be returned.
2. A copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition;
3. An affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class attesting
to the completion of the course or class by the applicant below. Be sure to submit the original (notarized) affidavit
but make a copy for your records because it cannot be returned.
Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
Commission or a similar agency of another state;
• Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
• Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement,
junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing
instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission,
or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
• Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators,
special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

• Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition
or military service (persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card;
discharged persons may submit a copy of the DD-214);
• Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such
license has been revoked for cause;
• Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle
Association-certified firearms instructor.