Frog Lube?

mySig229

Anybody have any experience with this lube?

I've been using Breakfree CLP for a little while bit I had a bad experience with it and it let me down.

I've been looking around and I hear good things about Frog Lube...just need some good positives before I go spend the money on it

My gunsmith uses it exclusively. In addition to regular use, he has an ultrasonic cleaner filled with the stuff.

AK103K

Ive been using it for awhile now. Seems to work as advertised. The only uncertainty I have about it is copper removal. I dont believe it deals with that. I have one AR Ive been using it with that has had degrading accuracy since I stopped using a copper solvent in my cleaning regimen.

Other than that (and maybe the price), I like it.

sigcurious

FL user here. I'd say it works about the same as breakfree CLP stand alone or BF CLP + separate oil/grease.

IMO

Pros:
Smells nice
Excellent coating properties for the protectant duty.
Wax-like properties, so it stays put and doesn't seem to gum up over time if you pull a lesser used gun out of the safe.

Cons:
Price
Doesn't do copper(although no CLP that I know of does, which is part of the compromise)
Doesn't smell like hoppes #9(ok not a con to me but it might be for some people :D )

mySig229

I took my son out to break in his first gun (Savage Rascal .22) and I picked my self up a blast from the past, a new Ruger 10/22...my first gun as a kid.

Both guns were brand new, no environmental elements that would have caused problems. Light overcast, about 70-75 degrees, and a slight breeze just made for a perfect shooting day...

I used some Break free on the rifles and on both of them the Break free acted like glue. Caused a lot of FTE's due to the lube making the shells to stick to the inside of the receiver and feed ramps. I had to overflow both rifles with the stuff to keep things working smooth.

I've never had such a problem with the many different types of lubricants I've used over the years. Left a foul taste in my mouth after that.

Single Six

Not doubting you by any means, but I am puzzled. I've used Break Free on all of my guns exclusively for over 20 years with no issues. On the other hand, hordes of people swear by the Sig P220 as the best pistol ever made, and I've found mine to be a totally unreliable piece of crap, so you never know.....

AK103K

I had to overflow both rifles with the stuff to keep things working smooth.
Were they "wet" when you started? .22's are notorious for not working as they get dirty. Wet tends to aggravate the situation. The cleaner and dryer they are when you start, the longer they usually run before they get grumpy.

Sounds like once you started flushing them, it just aggravated a vicious cycle. They probably ran OK for a little while when first flushed, and then got grumpy again a little quicker, as the "wet" acted as a magnet, and started holding the crud, allowing it to build up more quickly, and gunking things up.

.22 or not, I dont believe leaving things ''wet" is a good idea. Once properly cleaned, the excess should be removed and wiped "dry", leaving a light film, and then the gun properly lubed.

mySig229

Were they "wet" when you started? .22's are notorious for not working as they get dirty. Wet tends to aggravate the situation. The cleaner and dryer they are when you start, the longer they usually run before they get grumpy.

Sounds like once you started flushing them, it just aggravated a vicious cycle. They probably ran OK for a little while when first flushed, and then got grumpy again a little quicker, as the "wet" acted as a magnet, and started holding the crud, allowing it to build up more quickly, and gunking things up.

.22 or not, I dont believe leaving things ''wet" is a good idea. Once properly cleaned, the excess should be removed and wiped "dry", leaving a light film, and then the gun properly lubed.

I properly lubricated them before leaving the house. I cleaned them and gave them a wipe down. The break free itself gummed up and became sticky. And let's be real...the first rifle was a 10/22, fairly reliable .22 wouldn't ya say? And what about my sons single shot bolt action? Kinda hard to argue that isn't reliable. Lol

I don't know what the deal was...maybe just a fluke. Oh well, I'm always looking for bigger and better anyway. And I know there's better stuff out there than the break free anyway. It's a good product for the price, you get what you pay for I guess. Shouldn't have expected much from something that you can pick up at Wal Mart. Lol

BillyBeards

I've been using Frog Lube for the past couple of months on my 9mm Kimber and on my Argentine Mauser although I have yet to fire the rifle.
I like it a lot because cleanup seems to be easier and you can't beat the mint scent. Overall less messy too.