Frog Lube = coconut oil

Cheapshooter

Snake oil, coconut oil, whatever it takes........To make big bucks from people looking for a better mousetrap.
Hoppe's, and light oil has been working for a hundred years, and likely to continue so for many years.

wpsdlrg

I can only say that, IF Frog Lube is mostly coconut oil, it should NOT be used on firearms. Coconut oil is well known to congeal and simply become sticky. I can't think of ANY reason why anyone would want something like that on a firearm.

Of course, interestingly enough, I've heard that Frog Lube tends to do exactly that (congeal and become sticky). So, maybe the stuff IS coconut oil.......

ms6852

I've been using diesel for years to clean my guns, learned this trick from my father. Lubricates and cleans at the same time but I still prefer corrosion X had for lubrication.

TMD

Snake oil, coconut oil, whatever it takes........To make big bucks from people looking for a better mousetrap.
Hoppe's, and light oil has been working for a hundred years, and likely to continue so for many years.

At $10 for a 2oz container its over $600 a gallon. Someones getting rich and it aint me

coconut oil is expensive, but nowhere near $600 a gallon.
I agree coconut oil couldn't posibly be good for a gun. I have never used frog oil. Don't the edible fat based oils all break down into acids with oxidation? Maybe I'm totally off base with that, but that is what I thought.

rickyrick

I'd step back to motor oil before going forward to frog oil.
If I wear out a gun, I'm sure I'd have the money for a new gun, lol

pnac

That explains the nice light brown color and the "tan line" around the holster top on my stainless 1911 I carry when doing work around the farm.

MarkCO

This is not really news. Froglube and Fireclean are both plant based oils and there are a lot of people that have know that for a while. Neither one is really that good for the intended purpose. They made some folks a lot of money in a short amount of time and I had a hard time believing anyone would fall for it, but I guess the occupier of the White House and the mess of new folks trying to be there next should be enough evidence that Americans are not very discerning. :eek:

Grizz12

I tried frog lube, I like it, I now use it on all my firearms.

Funny how most of those opposed to it have never tried it but they have no problem talking bad about it

rickyrick

Most people that haven't tried it, understand that you don't need fancy overpriced products for a gun.
I'm sure it works as intended, just not needed.

I'm gonna buy some and taste it, see what it's made of lol.

mete

Oxidation ? Strange but over the years I've seen many a petroleum oil lube that has an anti-oxidant added.That includes very fine oils for various uses including gun oils.
Lets get a lube chemist to teach you something about lube and their chemistry.

Grizz12

Most people that haven't tried it, understand that you don't need fancy overpriced products for a gun.
I'm sure it works as intended, just not needed.

Its not a matter of "need", its about getting the best product for your guns. I've used just about every oil on the market since the 70's and FL not only works better (when applied properly), the guns clean up easier, faster and work flawlessly. And I don't have the oily smell wafting throughout the house now or oil on my hands and cloths, thats a very nice bonus

rickyrick

Not doubting that.
Just doubting the value.
For the price I could get a lifetime of gun care materials at the hardware store.

Cheapshooter

Hoppe's #9 and gun oil have proven themselves as doing an excellent job for more than a hundred years. At a reasonable cost as well.
The snake oil salesmen will always have a "better" way for those who believe their sales pitch, and are ever willing to dispose of more mony than necessary for no reason other than buying the story.

Last edited: