"French fit" Schofield Gun Box

Old No7

Hello gang:

Thought I'd share some pictures of my latest shop project, a "French-fitted" storage box for my Uberti Schofield.

Schofield_Box_1_Small_.jpg

Schofield_Box_4_Small_.jpg

Got the plain box for $20.00, spent $5.00 for a lid support, $3.00 for green felt, and $30.00 for the cavalry belt buckle, crossed cavalry swords and oil bottle from Dixie Gun Works -- and with the addition of a few hours labor -- Voila', here's a neat felt-lined storage box.

Schofield_Box_3_Small_.jpg

Schofield_Box_2_Small_.jpg

I cut the first form for the gun from 1" structural foam, which cut really easy on my scroll saw, and then when the dimensions were correct, I transferred those to a 3/4" piece of pine. I have to admit, the "French-fit" felt lining came out much better than I'd anticipated! Kinda impressed myself -- :eek: -- might just have to make another one to see if it was a fluke or not...

Schofield_Box_5_Small_.jpg

Does the Schofield shoot any better??? Nope, but since it sits more than it shoots, at least now it's sitting in style.

Tight groups!

Old No7

madcratebuilder

Great job with the felt. I have done some felt work and it's not as easy as it looks. What adhesive did you use? I have been using a fabric glue, but it well soak through the felt if I apply to much of it. Is that the Cabela's $20 case?

Old No7

I have done some felt work and it's not as easy as it looks. What adhesive did you use? I have been using a fabric glue, but it well soak through the felt if I apply to much of it.

I used Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue from Wally-World, it's what the clerk who sold me the felt suggested. It goes on cold, but with the consistency of "hot glue", and I spread it evenly with a stick. It seemed to penetrate only the glue side of the felt -- I think the trick is to have an even coating of glue and don't "push too hard" on the felt, or you squeeze glue into it. Having a thin and even coat of glue on the wood helped too.

Thanks all for the kind complements too!

Later this spring, I will make another box (got this one locally, at a gun shop) for a Uberti 1862 Pocket Police, and God Willing and the creek don't rise, I will take pictures as I build it and post a tutorial of sorts.

Tight groups!

Old No7