Freedom Arms 454 with Cowboy Loads

credx2

I had an informative conversation with Bob at Freedom Arms today and learned something new. I was at the range this weekend with my 7 ½ inch Model 83 in 454. I was shooting light cow boy action loads (250 grain RNFP over 5 grains of Trail Boss) through my 45 LC cylinder. The gun was shooting about 18 inches high and grouping loosely. I thought I somehow broke my gun as it has customarily been incredibly accurate. I asked Bob about this and he explained that due to the slow speed of the bullet in the barrel the muzzle has already begun to rise off target by the time the bullet left the muzzle. In retrospect it makes perfect sense. Thought this information might save someone else with like concerns down the line.

OBTW, I needed a replacement for the screw that locks down windage adjustment on the rear sight Freedom Arms put one in the mail free of charge no questions asked. Nice. I have a model 97 in .357 on the way. I like these guns…and the company

Last edited:

credx2

FA Customer Service

I called Thursday to purchase one screw that I destoyed on the rear sight. FA said they would stick one in the mail free of charge. On Saturday I received a whole set of rear sight screws. That my friends is customer service.

Well done Freedom Arms. Well done.:)