Freedom Arms .357/.38

credx2

I'm getting the urge to spend too much money on a Freedom Arms revolver in .357. My question is will the .357 shoot .38 ammunition like all the other .357s I own or is it necessary to have the .38 conversion. If it will shoot .38s with the .357 cylinder what is the advantage of the .38 cylinder.

I have a Python, a GP100 and a 686 and all three range from very good to outstanding accuracy with .38s.

I have also seen a Freedom Arms model 353 in .357 but they are not shown on the Freedom Arms website. What is the difference between a 97 and a 353? Was the 353 discontinued?

I appreciate any help on the mater.

Thanks

tuckerdog1

The 353 was the model number given to the 357 when FA first offered a 357. They were trying to keep with the 3 digit theme of the 454 & 252. I think they even offered a couple other different calibers with other 3 digit model numbers. The 357 offered in the model 97 is not the same. The 97 is the smaller frame. The model 83 in 357 is what was the 353. I think the 97 is a 6 shooter, and the 83, even though a larger gun, is still a 5 shot, like the 454.

If FA recommends you not shoot 38s from the 357 cylinder, I'd follow their direction. Those guns are just too nice to bung up.

Tuckerdog1

my 353
attachment.php

Jim March

The 353 was built on the large-frame as a five-shot and holds the title of "world's strongest repeating 357mag gun", period, end of discussion. Some really wild handload recipes have been kicked around for it, to a point where it's damn near another caliber (158gr @ 1,800fps or similar).

The better gun (and just as accurate) is the six-shot model '97 frame. This is smaller, roughly the size of a Colt SAA, but features a better internal safety than the earlier large-frame. The '97 has a transfer bar safety that manages not to mess up the trigger feel, a remarkable accomplishment.

Hands down, I'd rather have the small-frame.

The 38Spl cylinders will give you maximum accuracy for that caliber in either frame size.

credx2

Thanks, good information

OK, I have settled on the 97. Now, adjustable sights? Scoped? Grips? Barrel length? New? Used? The research is almost as fun as the shooting. I’ll figure it all out. Thanks for the help.

Stainz

This is sickening. We had a fellow at the range bring in his .357M FA 97 - the upscale version - ordered March of this year - and delivered May - and on the block in June. It sat there - all $2,650 worth of revolver, spare cylinder, scope rail/mt & Leupold scope, etc - even snap caps! It finally sold for $1350... what a steal! What a shooter! I saw the new owner shooting commercial .357M from it when I was at the range Tuesday - grinning like a Cheshire cat.
Marvelous firearms.

Stainz

tuckerdog1

Stainz, Yea, you can get a killer deal buying used. They still ain't "cheap" used, but big $$$s can be saved. Unless there is some very special batch of options you just gotta have, which might dictate a NEW gun, buying used is the way to go IMHO. Most who own these guns will take very good care of them. My 353 was picked up used. I priced it out with all the options it had, and had I ordered a new one ( which I couldn't have afforded anyway ), I was ahead well over $1,000 vs new.

Tuckerdog1

Jim March

Credx2: The '97 is the right choice. I didn't mention it yet but the '97 in 357 is a true six-shooter, not a five-shooter. The '97 in the larger bores (44Spl, 45LC) is a five-shot.

Fixed or adjustable depends on what you want to do.

If you experiment with a lot of loads, you'll want adjustable sights. If you're willing to dial it into one load, or at least one weight class of round, the FA "fixed" sight system is very good.

Here's why I have "fixed" in quotes:

http://gunblast.com/Freedom_NewSight.htm

This is a great setup. You can get varying heights of that front and swap them quickly - even in the field. It's also windage adjustable so you lose very little over "real adjustable" sights.

FA has been making them like this for about a year now. If you find one that pre-dates this front and has a really "fixed" front, you can ship it to FA for this update at low or no cost.

My gun is a Ruger with a broadly similar type of front done up custom:

vaqhawk.jpg

...and I can tell you, it works REAL well.

The FA adjustable setup can however be customized to an "express" setup, shallow V-notch rear and a gold bead front. This is a wonderful system for fast (read: combat type) shooting BUT it's thoroughly outlawed in CAS/SASS competition.

Upshot: if you're going to use it as a CAS/SASS competition gun, go with fixed sights and if it's used, update it to the latest setup front. For hunting and field use, you'll do best with adjustable. For CCW/defense, I'd say...hell, I dunno, the V-notch rear and dot front combination with adjustable works well, or the newest incarnation of the "fixed" sight is a damn fine setup as well.

(Regarding CCW/defense: that's what that Ruger is set up as, a modern fighting SA. It's not as crazy as it sounds in transfer-bar safety guns like this Ruger or the FA97 as both accuracy and "first strike speed" are wonderful. Only in reload speed does it suffer compared to other handgun systems.)

credx2

Just when I had made up my mind to go with the adjustable sights you give me something new to think about. Actually, I really like the look and strength of the fixed sights but I'll stick with the adjustable sights. I shoot better with them. I'm going to go with a 7 1/2", 97 with adjustable sights and the additional .38 cylinder (one more reason to go with the adjustable sights.) Thanks for the advice. I sure like your Ruger. So many guns…so many guns, what’s a fella to do?

credx2

Update 3 1/2 years later. I finally bought the 97

Well it took a while since I first opened this post, but I finally found the right gun at the right price. I found a hardly used 97 in .357. I pick it up Monday. Patience is a virtue I guess. I'll let ya'll know how it works once I shoot it next week.