Free rifle is getting expensive

ligonierbill

Fair warning: This ends in a "What should I buy?" (And outrageous rationalization)

So I inherited a Handi Rifle with 4 barrels: .44 Mag, .243, 30-30 and 20 ga. Not worth a lot, and it's family, so keep it and give it a try. Bad news, or good, depending on how you look at it, I didn't load any of those. So, first $ goes to dies, brass, etc. OK, and Ohio now allows rifles in pistol rounds for deer, so the .44 has some use. Needed some decent sights, though, and the HR came with a couple cheap scopes (Barska and Pine Ridge). So, a Weaver long eye relief seemed like the ticket. It is, and I can hit a pie plate at 200 with a 240 XTP. Good, more $, well spent of course.

It's been a long time since I fired a 30-30, and it's kinda fun. But it deserves better than a HR. I once had a Canadian Centennial 1894 (long barrel) and let it slip away. Luckily, those aren't really on collectors' lists, so I got one at a reasonable price. Well, I already had powder and shot, so why not.

Now, the .243. Took it out yesterday with some Sierra 85 Varminters, and it shot OK, 2 1/2" at 150. That's about 1.7" at 100. One string each of Nosler 70's and SGK 100's were both worse. I'm not giving up on it, but I doubt I will ever be posting a target on the Forum. Here's the real stretch on rationale: I have a 22-250 and a 6.5x55 that are very accurate, so I have no need whatsoever for a .243. But it's a great round that is challenging me. So, here it is. Not quite cost no object, but leave money out of it, what would you buy for accuracy? Currently have a Winchester M70, a couple Remington 700's, Savage 116, and I used to own an old Ruger M77. Like them all, no brand loyalty here. I had thought to use this as an excuse to buy a Ruger No. 1, but I think that is paying a premium for looks (they're pretty!). I want to post a picture of the target, not the rifle.

Are we talking about what new (new to you) rifle to buy with accuracy in mind? To be used for Hunting, just target shooting, what will the max range be?

Mobuck

"I had thought to use this as an excuse to buy a Ruger No. 1, but I think that is paying a premium for looks (they're pretty!)."

Probably not my first choice for accuracy. While some Ruger #1 rifles are accurate some are VERY temperamental regarding accuracy.
High cost does not guaranty accuracy.

Blindstitch

That handi rifle sounds like it could be a fun single for what it's worth. I also have a canadian centennial.

I hear a lot of good words about Savage but can't show you any targets.

ligonierbill

Interest wanes, so I'll wrap this. The HR is a fun piece, and it will do well for me as an OH->IO deer killer, a shotgun for the recoil sensitive, and maybe a youth hunter with the 30-30 barrel. The .243 barrel, however, is going to a new home for some expert TLC. A FL member is going to make that one sing. Regarding a shooter .243, I bought a Ruger American today. I have an older 2.5-12x50 Simmons scope that should fit this homely, but reportedly very competent, rifle. If it shoots as well as the reviews indicate, I may actually part with the 22-250. But that's another report.

shotgun for the recoil sensitive
My HR kicks like you wouldn't believe b/c it is about as light as a shotgun can get.

I really like the looks of the CZ rifles, especially the full stock. They general have decent reputations for accuracy also. Going to try out a 22lr FS and if I like it I have my eye on a few others.

Blindstitch

What he said.

I have a 22/410 Rossi/Taurus combo and at 3 pounds the 410 kicks as hard as a 12 gauge. Practically jumps out of your hand.

Ibmikey

I do not know if H&R is still producing Handi's or if they even offer a barrel in 300 Blackout but I have an AAC .300 Blackout Handi ( 16" barrelL) that is the neatest little Texas hog Hunter around. Hard hitting at short ranges and supersonic ammo, turns a Handy into a fun shooter and Hunter..