Free guns are good

Armybrat

This Belgian-made Browning Safari 30-06 was given to me by a family friend prior to his passing. I'd rather have him back, but here's a bit of his legacy that was used on some hunts in Alaska (lots of scratches & dings on the stock as a result):

GregoryBirthday2011026.jpg

GregoryBirthday2011027.jpg

GregoryBirthday2011028.jpg

GregoryBirthday2011031.jpg

GregoryBirthday2011030.jpg

GregoryBirthday2011029.jpg

The gentleman also gave me an identical model in .243, but the stock is just about perfect. One of my sons has the .243, on which he changed out a nice Leopold scope in place of the Tasco (the 30-06 has a Tasco still on it). Son also took the Browning sling off the 30-06 and put it on the .243.

The blue finish on both rifles is at "least" 98%.

Dave Anderson

The FN made Brownings were very fine rifles. Something to watch for is rusting of receiver/barrel where the wood touches. Many Browning firearms had a "salt wood" problem. One rifle I owned was fine for years and then for whatever reason started to rust along the bottom of the barrel and action. Fortunately i noticed before the damage got really serious.

It's worth pulling the barreled action from the receiver and checking now and then. Browning ran out of replacement stocks long ago so if a rust problem develops you'll need to find a replacement elsewhere, maybe a synthetic.

The butt pad is not original and it appears as though the stock was shortened a bit when the pad was installed (could also be the photo was distorted from compression). Scope is mounted further back than I'd want for my use. Both factors make me wonder if your friend was short in stature. If you are average height or taller I'd say you're in danger of a cut eyebrow unless you move the scope forward a bit.

I consider scratches from hunting as marks of honor which wouldn't concern me in the slightest (though I hate "gun safe" dings). Your friend must have been a man of generous spirit, and he had good taste in rifles.

Armybrat

Yes, the friend was 5'4" tall. He was a WWII pilot who flew the "Hump" into China.

I've heard of the salt stock problem.

Don't know how to remove the stock, but did take the screws off the trigger guard plate - they were clean.

jglsprings

There are a couple of "hand me down" weapons that I cherish way beyond the guns value. I wouldn't trade them or sell them if I was dead broke.

The '06 is a fine rifle. Looks like it has lots of stories to tell. My son and I are going to put some stories on my 375 in Alaska some day.

youngunz4life

I am sorry you lost this good person in your life

The pictures show he cared for this weapon, so it is your job to do the same. He trusted you to do this. It is a nice rifle.

Armybrat: My condolences for your loss.

Those "Hump pilots" flew not only over or near the highest mountains or remote jungle, the navigational aids were almost non-existent and the frequency of severe turbulence and icing was sometimes the worst in the world. Wait for ice on leading edges, Then hope that the 'boots' inflate...
Many C-46s had to be flown back to the States for leaking fuel systems (kaboom), runaway electric props and many other problems.

Lots of new technology but limited pilot and mechanic experience, in primitive conditions, as multi-engine procedures were being developed.

The chance of being spotted by a Jap fighter over Burma, or being off course in the Himalayas cost so many their lives.

The wrecks of over 600 planes have been seen on the Aluminum Trail, from C-46, C-47 (DC-3s), C-87s to DC-4s etc.
Not forgetting that losses during training in the US etc created a similar rate of fatalities, the Hump pilots' operations were just as dangerous as flying bombers over Europe with lots of AAA, Me-109s and FW-190s etc.

How often do you see this on the History or Military Channels? Never?

Last edited:

Scorch

This Belgian-made Browning Safari 30-06 was given to me by a family friend prior to his passing
All Browning Safari and Browning High-Power rifles were made in Belgium by FN. They are some of the nicest examples of commercial Mauser 98 pettern rifles ever made.
Many Browning firearms had a "salt wood" problem.
All salt wood is Claro walnut, and that stock is European walnut, so there should not be a problem. But it's still a good idea to take the action out of the wood and give it a good cleaning anyway. FN only finished the stocks on the exterior surfaces, so it is possible that water may have gotten between the stock and metal and caused issues. Better safe than sorry.

PawPaw

I agree that hand-me-down rifles are the best. I'm trying to pass on as many as I can.

I passed on a rifle just like that last year at $800.00. I have no doubt it was worth every penny, I just couldn't justify another .30-06 in my battery.

smarquez

New guy to the board, my wifes family were shooters/hunters. At the end of last year she came home from a visit from her aunt with a Mossberg model 42m-b .22. It was a British lend lease rifle and has all the Brit acceptance and proof marks. The stock was bubba'd and it has an old Weaver 4x scope on it, I think it was made in 1937 but still is a little tack driver at 50 yds. I also have from them a Type 38 sporter in 257 Roberts with a cut mil stock and a Type 99 in 257Roberts on a sporter stock. They are probably nothing special other than the era they came from. My deceased FIL said the all started as $3.00 surplus rifles in the late 40's and they built them up themselves. Guns don't get sold in our families, they get passed on.
Steve

Armybrat

Ignition Override, my friend flew C-54s (the DC-4). Later on in life he became a successful rancher and head of the Arkansas Medical Association. He also at one time was the president of the Hump pilots veterans' association, or CBI.
He passed away a couple years ago at age 97. He & my Dad were fraternity brothers at the U. Of Missouri in the early '30s and became lifelong best friends. He was a straight shooter and a real man.

Scorch, thanks for that info - it's good to know.

Here is a thread I posted on the 1911 board about this gentleman and his Colt service pistol that is now owned by my brother:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=305233