Fred Thompson and cancer

Does Fred Thompson's bout with lymphoma make you less likely to vote for him?

The same question came up years ago with now deceased Sen. Paul Tsongas (D-MA) when he ran for the Democratic nomination in 1992. Same form of cancer as Thompson if I recall correctly. It's one factor in his loss to Bill Clinton.

Unregistered

The type of lymphoma he has had is low grade, and is something he could live with for many years, and ultimately die from something unrelated. Some lymphomas in old people like Thompson follow a very indolent course.

I do not consider this a valid reason for not voting for him.

The fact that he voted for No Child Left Behind, Campaign Finance Reform, Medicare Reform, and the Patriot Act are much better reasons to avoid him.

Molson

unregistered said:
I do not consider this a valid reason for not voting for him.

The fact that he voted for No Child Left Behind, Campaign Finance Reform, Medicare Reform, and the Patriot Act are much better reasons to avoid him.

i agree with that, but would like add: who would his vice president pick be? thats the only reason i could see it effecting whether i do or dont vote for him based on the cancer thing.

Fremmer

Not necessarily so. I suppose that it depends on the situation, as in the person and the cancer.

Interesting question, though.

GoSlash27

^ditto. His cancer had nothing to do with my rejection of him.
I would choose a president with terminal cancer....so long as I liked the VP nominee.

publius42

I'm not concerned by his cancer and would probably vote for Thompson if he is nominated. The only thing his cancer changes for me is his VP choice. If it's someone I really, really detest, the cancer starts to concern me.

Let it Bleed

Go to a "Relay for Life" walk and you may be amazed at the number of cancer survivors there are. It's a non-factor as far as I'm concerned. There are much better reasons not to vote for this guy. But then again, I can't find one that I actually want to support. :barf:

I once thought that an inept and incompetent president would prevent the consolidation of power in the executive branch, but Bush II demonstrates the lethal combination of conviction without critical thinking.

Reminds me of the following quote:

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

-Bertrand Russell (1872-1970).

M1911

Does Fred Thompson's bout with lymphoma make you less likely to vote for him?
I work in a cancer research lab. The fact that he had lymphoma has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not I will vote for him.