Frangibles anyone?--Quik-Shok, Glasers, Magsafe...?

longeyes

How many of you use them for personal defense purposes? What do you think of their real-world effectiveness? I hear rabid testimonials to them while sources like firearmstactical.dom suggest they don't cut it compared to conventional hollow-point designs? If you like them, which one(s) do you prefer?

I want penetration deep into the target, not a huge surface wound with only iffy penetration into vital organs.

These rounds SEEM to be just the ticket, but I wouldn't trust one, especially if my intended target was wearing heavy winter clothing or a leather jacket.

I use 125-gr. bullets for .38 and .357, 115s or 124s or 9mm, and 200 or 230 for .45.

P

PreserveFreedom

I bought some Quik-Shok's in 22LR. Their concept seemed great and they stated a nice high transfer of energy. I bought 3 boxes (150 rounds). I think I am going to give the 100 rounds that I haven't used away. With the first 50, I was lucky to get them to fire on the first primer strike. They are CCI primed, so I figured they would be ok. I guess not. If the round misfires, it is useless to you.

longeyes

As they say, if it seems too good to be true, it usually is. Misfires mean a lack of dependability. To me that's a fatal flaw (literally). Hollow-points here I come.

Hogballs

I've been looking at Triton's CQ Frangibles which are listed as being suitable for practice AND self defense.

I talked to Triton today and they said they are effective for self defense, but maybe not AS effective as a Quik Shok.

They do have a pretty impressive FPS rating though!

Hog

Ledbetter

Glaser safety slugs

The first couple of rounds in my pistol mags are Glasers, followed by Hydrashocks or Hornady rounds.

glockten

As an apartment dweller, I keep Glaser Blues in my bedside gun. Since the possibility exists that I may have to fire that weapon in a less than fully awake state, I feel the Glasers reduce the risk to my neighbors. Glasers WILL penetrate drywall, but they're designed to fragment on impact as opposed to a JHP.

For daily carry however, I prefer conventional JHPs.

Jody Hudson

Moisture and dampness can KILL a .22 cartridge

I have fired somewhere around 4,000 rounds of Quick-Shock .22s out of about 30 different pistols, revolvers and rifles. So far not one misfire. With Stingers I've had some in the same guns.

I am not certain about the Quick-Shock BUT in some tests that I did about 12 years ago I found that .22s, including about a dozen or so brands and including Stingers, were all VERY susceptible to moisture, dampness and water.

In my experience the primer material in the Quick-Shock is the most reliable of any .22 I've ever owned and that's most of them.

Check for moisture, dampness etc. I have not heard of misfires in Quick-Shocks before with any gun that would fire other ammo reliably.

longeyes

Maybe it's me but I can more easily envision using a Glaser or a Magsafe in a revolver, where if you get a dud you just pull the trigger again, but somehow the idea of this kind of round in a semi-auto pistol, in a fast-changing SHTF crisis, worries me. Maybe this is less of a problem with Triton's stuff?

glockten

longeyes,

I think the misfire problem is limited to rimfire cartridges. I've never had a misfire with Glasers.

animal

I shot a large dog with a Glaser. Curiosity took over. "Autopsied" it. The wound was impressive.
During the summer months, the house guns are loaded with them. For winter and carry, JHPs.

John D

Interesting.....I was just about to ask the same question!

I have Magsafes in .357 loaded in my snubbie 66 in the house. I'm thinking they should be very effective. I was impressed with the dog autopsy - I doubt anyone's had to use them on a real bad guy. I also have HydraShoks in 38+P; maybe I'll substitute 3 of the Magsafes with these (man, if I'm up to six rounds I'm either a real lousy shot or I'm in major trouble!!).

BrokenArrow

I asked Tom B.

> In 40S&W, which load would you pick for duty/home/CCW use and why?

155 grain Quik-Shok because nothing survives when shot in the boiler
room. Blood loss is obscene and profuse. Eight out of 29 NYS & PA deer
shot were shot through the shoulder bone and the segments still
devastated the lungs. So much for cross-torso shots presenting a
problem. The deer were all wearing “heavy hide”.

Jeff OTMG

I have no problem using pre-frag ammo. I am not a believer in deep penetration because everything I want to hit is within 6" to 8" of the surface of a human body. I originally used Glaser Safety Slugs (blue) and have copies of x-ray prints of Glaser hits on bodies. The wound tracks are impressive. I switched to MagSafe as they are much more accurate than the Glaser in my guns. Recently I have become interested in RBCD ammo, very impressive stuff, and is considerably less expensive than MagSafes. Better penetration through intermediate barriers, though we should not concern ourselves with that too much. I do not recommend any 'special' ammo for on duty LEO use, but for the types of encounters we would find ourselves in this stuff is good.

These are RBCD loads found at http://www.rbcd.net/
and you should see the LEO stuff!! This is all loaded to industry standard pressures, the LEO versions are +P or +P+.

32 ACP 37 gr. TFSP 1815 fps / 271 flbs
380 ACP 50 gr. TFSP 1500 fps / 283 flbs
9mm 60 gr. TFSP 2010 fps / 539 flbs
357 Sig. 60 gr. TFSP 2410 fps / 774 flbs
38 Spl. 60 gr. TFSP 1705 fps / 385 flbs
357 Mag. 60 gr. TFSP 1975 fps / 520 flbs
40 SW 77 gr. TFSP 2100 fps / 754 flbs
10mm 77 gr. TFSP 2420 fps / 1015 flbs
45 ACP 90 gr. TFSP 2036 fps / 828 flbs
45 ACP 115 gr. TFSP 1650 fps / 700 flbs

Kentucky Rifle

I like the Frangibles

I tried the little "corned beef" test (recommended on the package) with some .25ACP Magsafes. The wound was impressive indeed. So impressive in fact, that I switched the carry load in my P-32 to Magsafes also. I'm convinced that a wound like the Magsafe round makes will be quite enough to stop a bad guy permanently.

Kentucky Rifle

I work as a firefighter/paramedic; at a class we had recently, we were shown some autopsy photos and the details pointed out as to what weapon caused the wounds. We were then shown some additional photos and asked to try and identify the weapon. A slide flashed up and I immediatly yelled out; shotgun-close range. I was wrong, 9mm Glaser. If you have seen a shotgun wound it is awsome, to be confused with a handgun round is incredible. Handgun wounds of any reasonable caliber are not much like you envision after reading all the hype in gun magazines and on these internet forums. I was very impressed with this Glaser picture.

viper45

I have done Gelatin testing with the 165 gr. 45 quikshoks, they are quite impressive, the segments went 12",14.3",16.6"
and did a buttload of damage, this was through 4 layers of denim on top of the gelatin, thats what I carry, go to glock talk and check out caliber corner for the 45 SMC, short magnum cartridge coming out in january, basically the same as 45 super but uses a small primer pocket.

Betty

An older thread on the effectiveness of Frangibles convinced me to give them a try. Now I keep my K40 loaded with Hydra Shoks (sometimes Cor-Bons) alternating with Glaser Silvers. Just in case the Glaser doesn't do the penetration for whatever reason (heavy clothing, etc.) a quick follow up with the JHP will do the job.