Frangible Ammo

Rob96

Considerring the use of frangible ammo in my Taurus Model 85 for inside the house or for when I will be in crowded public places. Out of the Glaser and Magsafe brands , which would you use and why?

ak9

I like magsafe and RBCD. I have seen both tested and work very well. Wound channel is awsome and did not overpenetrate. I have no experience with glaser.

Clark Kent

MagSafe over Glaser. You might also want to check out Triton's Quik-Shok, a sort of cross between frangible and hollowpoint. Bullet, designed by Tom Bursczinski (sp?), who
also designed Hydra-Shok and Starfire. See a video of .40 cal. QS going thru gelatin on Triton's Web page:

http://www.triton-ammo.com/index1.html

swatman

I am with Mike, stay away from it. Nothing but a hyped up expensive gimmic. That is more likely to kill you in court than kill a BG

Cougar

I have used both frangibles (Glaser) and yet another oddball loading that I keep in my Taurus 85 for house duty.

A couple of years ago I came across a box of Remington Multi-ball. This loading consists of two 70 grain 000-buck dead soft lead balls inside the .38 case. The crimp is just past the middle of the second ball. The lighter weight of each projectile would limit overpenetration, yet retain enogh mass to do some damage to the BG. The balls are dead soft lead to limit ricochet, since they would deform upon hitting any surface.

I have settled on these for a number of years now. I ran a cylinder through the 3" Taurus and the two balls printed about an inch apart at 7 yards. Hmmm, two wound channels for the price of one. I also shot a couple out of an 8" barrelled .357 and they printed about 1-1/2 inch apart at 20 yards. Not bad accuracy for round balls!

The loading seems to make sense to some of my friends. I have begun to reload some of these for some of them now...

Cougar,

I guess the multi-ball loads are fine, if you don't mind extremely limited penetration.

The multi-balls can be defeated by a heavy winter coat.

Sorry, they're another gimmick that I don't buy.

Travis McGee

Couger: do you truly believe that a winter coat will stop a 000 buckshot at +- 1000fps? I use "Strike Threes" as my in-house load out of my Ruger Security Six 4" .357. It's three buckshot, three wound channels in under 2' at 7 yards. That's 21 buckshot out of a revolver, pretty good inside a house, like a shotgun in your hand. I have kids sleeping in other rooms, over penetration IS an issue.