giaquir

This coming week, I'm looking to buy
a Franchi al 48 in 20 ga.
Does anybody have any experience..
good or bad with these shotguns?
TIA
Ron

jaguarxk120

One of the lightest autoloader guns made. If you take care of it, it will last you a life time.
Made on the tried and true Browning principle so you just have to keep the barrel clean. No gas rings, seal, or pistons to remove carbon from.

I have a older one with a 28 inch barrel, shoots great. If the recoil bothers you, your not paying attention to the target and your shooting.

Virginian

I am not a fan of long recoil action semi autos, but the Franchi is a well time tested gun that works. I am not saying the action does not work, I am just saying I don't like the feel of them. Lots of people do, however. I escaped the infatuation with the old Browning Auto 5; I had one and much preferred a buddy's Franchi. The Franchi 48s are light guns and recoil will be more than many competitors similar gauge guns. I used to shoot a specially lightened 10 gauge BPS (as in machined) shooting the staunchest loads I could buy or build, and I still regularly shoot a 3" Magnum 12 gauge pump gun for waterfowl, so I am not a recoil wimp, but recoil does matter to a lot of people. It matters to me shooting targets. I believe that is why the 12 gauge version was dropped some years ago in favor of other designs. A 20 for most uses won't kick like a 12, and I don't care what the recoil tables with gun weight and load have to say about it. Total energy factors in there too. In my opinion it comes into play much more shooting targets than when wingshooting at game; my answer is adrenaline is at work on game.
It has been a few years since I shot any Franchi or even looked at a 20, and I do not know how well they handle light loads versus heavy, and I don't remember if you have to switch the recoil components around between settings for the different loads or not, but an owner should be able to tell you. They have not remained in production for coming up on 70 years virtually unchanged because they had a lot of problems. If you take decent care of it your grandkids will still be trying to wear it out.

mete

Are you sure ? I thought the new Franchi guns are Benelli type actions as Fracnhi is now part of Benelli ??

jaguarxk120

The AL48 is just like the Browning A5.

There are those out there that can't take the recoil action of the long recoil autoloaders., don't know why. But that action seems to screw up their concentration when shooting, still don't know why.

I guess it's the same people complaining about the "hump-back" receiver of the A5 interfering with their sighting, aren't they looking at the bird or clay?

jaguarxk120

At this point in time, IF I was looking for a autoloader it would be the Affinity, BUT right now I have two AL48's, one in 12 and one in 20.

jaguarxk120

I enjoy the 48's, the Affinity would just be different that's all. Just filling in a vacant spot.

Normally I like Ithaca Model 37 pump gun's, early ones.

giaquir

They both have the same recoil system?
The main reason I'm gonna buy one of these
or a SXS in 20 is for partridge hunting.
I went insane one day and sold my A5 light 20 (humpback)

Cowboy_mo

I have owned and shot an AL 48 in 20 guage for about 30 years. Mine has a 26 in barrel and weighs next to nothing. It has successfully handled both light and heavy loads with nary a problem.

IMO if you liked the light weight Browning, you will also like the AL 48.

The only thing I ever disliked about my AL 48 was the fixed imp cyl choke. So a couple years ago I spent a few dollars with Mike Orlen and had it threaded and screw in chokes installed. Now I can use it anytime not just for when I think the game will be close.:)

Virginian

The Benellis, the Affinity, and some others use an inertia action. Very different than a long recoil gun like the AL48. Look it up on Wikipedia; not a bad write up.

You can in Europe, but I don't think you can in the USA. Two models are Affinnity Wood and Affinity White. Try calling Bennelli USA to see if it can be ordered or why not. There are some restrictions on semi auto shotgun imports, but I have no idea if any apply.