frame size specs

scoobydoo6906

I am trying to find frame size specs for the S&W K frame so that I can compare them to the Ruger SP101. I am mostly interested in the height as the length overall seems to be pretty close something like a 1/4 inch or so. thanks for the help.

Sevens

Not quite sure I understand the question, but here's a little tidbit that I do know... maybe it will help?

The small frame size S&W is the j-frame. I have a model 60, 5-shot J-frame and it's slightly smaller with a slightly smaller cylinder than an SP-101. When I tried to fit a .327 Fed Mag SP-101 in to my DeSantis leather holsters built for the J-frame S&W, it was too tight a fit. Could be wedged in there, but clearly was too small.

The S&W K-frame is one frame size up from the J-frame, and would likely be a tiny bit larger than an SP-101.

scoobydoo6906

yeah I am just looking for height measurement from the bottom of the frame to the top of the sights. I have a friend that carries a sp101 in the pocket with boot grips and i was looking at the k frame S&W's and noticed the lengths overall were pretty close in the snubnose offerings so it got me to thinking about the size practicality of carrying a snubnose k frame in the pocket.

Andy Taylor

Don't know exact measurements but a K frame is slightly larger than an SP101.
The closest revolver in size to the SP101 I can think of is the Colt Detective Special and other Colt D-Frames.

I find the biggest drawback to pocket carry is not so much the size of the gun, but the weight. If you want to pocket carry a K frame your best bet would be a 2" M12.

pogo2

K frames larger than SP101

The K frame snubbies are considerably larger and heavier than a Ruger SP101. If you look at weight, the Ruger is about 25 ounces while the K frame is about 32 ounces. Also, the K frame has a 6 round cylinder while the Ruger is 5 rounds, so that requires a larger cylinder on the K frame. I have a number of K frame snubbies and there is no way I could pocket carry one.