Fox Model B lock lever left of center

AL45

Recently I bought a Fox Model B 20 Gauge side x side off Gunbroker. I saw the gun right at the end of the auction and bid without carefully looking over the pictures. I assumed that since there were over 30 bids it must be a good deal and I have been looking for a side x side such as this. After placing the winning bid I went back and took a better look at the pictures. The picture that really stood out was the one that showed the locking lever left of center. I called the seller and got one of his employees. He said he checked the gun out and said it locked up tight. The seller has hundreds of very good reviews and no negatives and my FFL dealer is also a gunsmith and he said even if it needs repaired, it shouldn't be a big deal. This gun will be only used for a little Quail hunting. Am I looking at a costly repair on this particular gun, or do you think it's probably good to go as is?

FrankenMauser

If it locks up tight, it should be fine. Down the road, it may be a minor repair to tighten things up if it gets loose. But it's not a 'total rebuild' scenario that will cost more than a kitchen remodel.

ammo.crafter

sly fox

Have the same sxs shotgun with a slightly left cant as well. It's never been an issue.

Do you know the manufacture date? !967-68 were made by Beretta in Italy and are fine shotguns.

Blindstitch

I have the 12 gauge model that had a slight locking problem and one thing I learned was the thing it's called a top snap/ lock lever was screwed in from the inside middle of the action. Sometime over time the screw backed out a turn or two so I tore it all the way down and replaced some of the parts and screwed it back together tight and it has worked great for the past 3 or so years.

The one thing that was a pain was you need a flathead allen screwdriver to put it back in.

These guns are work horses so things are probably fine.

AL45

Thanks for the input. The gun was made in Chicopee Falls, which according to my research means it was made between 1948 and 1960. I don't have the gun yet and can't tell from the picture what the stamp is.

44 AMP

Staff
It may just be a bit dirty. Some crud not enough to prevent a good solid lock up, but just enough to prevent the lever from coming all the way back to center.

Something to check for, when you do get the gun in your hands...

Could be something else, no way to tell yet.

Pahoo

Hi Dad !!!

locking lever left of center
A friend of mine showed me his father's old SXS and after inspecting it, I commented his father must have been right-handed. He was really surprised and asked me how I knew this. I showed him the locking lever and he just stood there looking at it, for a long time, then smiled and commented that he had never noticed that. Rather than a problem, it's a condition that is common to some older Doubles, left and right. I love these old guys and these have many good miles left in them. My buddy actually liked the way it was and decided to keep it as is. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

FITASC

My 20 needed that; it needed some new springs but they were unavailable, so the gunsmith had to make some and do some other alterations to make things right.

AL45

Finally got the gun today. It is very left of center, but it locks up tight. I took the forend off and holding it by the barrels, gave it a good shake and nothing rattled and no movement. I tried twisting the barrels and again, no movement. I'm going to have a gunsmith check it out, but it seems solid. I fired four rounds through it with no problems.

Drm50

I have seen and had Fox-B and 311 Stevens with off center thumb breaks. It
doesn't seem to prevent solid lock up. On gun of age of yours offset screw driver
is required to work on latch from inside the action.

Hawg

It's kind of self adjusting. As parts wear it takes up the slack so to speak. Nothing wrong with it until it gets to where the action is loose.