Four Interesting S&W Model 10/M-P Configurations

1tfl

I went by the Pawn Shop near my office today during lunch time. They occasionally have interesting stuff and have gotten good prices if I haggle with them. Today they had a case full of S&W model 10/M-P revolvers... about 20 of them. They were all civilian models as none were marked with PD or agency name. Most were model 10 with skinny and heavy 4" barrels but there were four that looked intersting to me.

First one was a M-P with 5" skinny barrel and round butt. It was clean and in very good or better condition with what looked to be original wood grip. I've seen 5" skinny barrel models before but never with a round butt.

Second one was a M-P with 6" skinny barrel and square butt. It was clean but looked much older and much more used as blue was worn in several areas but it was in good condition and no pitting I could see. I've never seen 6" models before.

Third was a 3" heavy barrel model 10 with square butt. It looked almost new with no worn areas. 3" model with square butt????

Final one was a 2" model 10 model with square butt. This one looked well used and there were some worn areas and light rust on the back strap. Again, 2" with square butt????

Anybody here ever seen these configurations before? These were all new to me.

I didn't get a chance to get the story on these revolvers or their asking price as I only had few minutes to return to work and they had several customer they were attending to. Tomorrow I'm going back to see them again and get some prices.

Otony

The 5" with round butt is probably pretty early, pre-WWII if I am not mistaken. I have seen a fair number over the years. I don't know if those were made after the war. Thinking about it, I believe this style was actually discontinued some time before WWII, but that is only a wild guess from an old fat man with CRS disease.

6" with square butt is not unusual whatsoever. This was a catalog item into the early 80's. I bought one NIB for 200 bucks from around 1980 (boy, did I sell some cool guns I shoulda kept over the years, sigh :().

The 2" with aquare butt was another common variation, also being cataloged into the early 80's. I never cared much for that style, but it was a very popular revolver with detectives for many a long year.

The 3" heavy barrel with square butt is something I have never seen, however. I wonder if someone replaced a 4" heavy barrel with the shorter tube?

Otony