Found some original service grips for my S&W Model 66

David the Gnome

I've been searching for a long time for some correct original K-frame service grips for my Model 66. I bough this gun as an old police trade-in and it had some worn out rubber Pachmayr grips on it. The rubber in those grips was so old it had pretty much turned hard and brittle. I replaced them with some new-production target grips but they just didn't look right or feel right on the gun. It proved reasonably difficult to find some original service grips that weren't beat up to death. I ended up just on a whim asking one of my local shops if they had any old K-frame grips kicking around in the back and they just so happened to have this one pair available.

I really think these grips complete this gun. It brings the gun back to its former glory in my opinion. :)

model6601.jpg

model6602.jpg

Homerboy

My 66 and my 19 both came from the factory with Target grips. The magnas on yours I've only seen on K frame 38's.

8shot357

Looks good, I have some woods like that for my J-frame for $4.99.

And I love them.

FYI Square frame through CDII

bds32

Looks good. How does it shoot with with full power magnums? For less abuse on the hand, I prefer a larger grip such as Herrett's Jordan.

orionengnr

Nice 66. I cary mine sometimes, but have a Hogue MonoGrip on mine.
Your grips are pretty, but the Hogues are thin and grippy.

stevieboy

Looks great, but as Homerboy points out, that gun -- which looks to be a 66 no-dash judging from its all stainless sights -- started its life with target grips. Personally, I find service grips or Magnas more comfortable to shoot with than the targets, which do terrible things to the base of my right (shooting) thumb. So, if it were mine, I'd probably do the same thing with it. But, on the other hand, I'm not terribly bothered by issues of historical accuracy. :D

T. O'Heir

Hi. Those aren't quite original. 66's came with the larger 'target' style grips. I think those are Model 10 'combat' grips. Either way, if they fit your hand, don't fix it.