Found some more old ammo

spacecoast

Anyone have an idea as to when these were made? From what I've been able to find online the Remington "dogbone" boxes might be from the 1930s.

photo4_zps432b9a74.jpg

Last edited:
All are from the very late 1920s, but most likely the 1930s to 1940s given that all have non-corrosive priming.

They could probably be pinned down a bit more closely, but it would take looking at ALL aspects of the box, not just the front label.

carguychris

All are from the very late 1920s, but most likely the 1930s to 1940s given that all have non-corrosive priming.
Was commercial .30 Luger / 7.65 Parabellum ammo very common back then? It seems to me that it would have been a real specialty item.

FrankenMauser

For certain types of ammunition, Winchester-Western continued using that type of box into the 1960s. Even the more popular cartridges, with updated boxes, were still very similar through the mid-'60s.

"Was commercial .30 Luger / 7.65 Parabellum ammo very common back then? It seems to me that it would have been a real specialty item."

Was it common? Define common.

Was it loaded? Yes.

Post WW I Stoeger, I believe, began importing newly manufactured Parabellums into the United States in both 9mm and 7.65. They also trademarked the term Luger as it applied to both the guns and the ammunition.

Most of the major ammo companies began producing both 9 and 7.65 by the mid to late 1920s.

"For certain types of ammunition, Winchester-Western continued using that type of box into the 1960s. Even the more popular cartridges, with updated boxes, were still very similar through the mid-'60s."

Yes, and no. As they say, the devil is in the details. The boxes, while generally yellow, red, and blue, had very distinctive differences at various times.

"Olin wasn't formed until 1944 (according to Wikipedia) so the 7.65mm box may be post-war:"

I'm coming up with some confusing dates as to exactly when Olin Industries was born...

kilimanjaro

Lots of commercial Lugers came back with the GI's, they got them from the civilians in the German towns they captured.

Unless you're absolutely desperate for .22, I'd save them.

A full, or even partially full, box of ammo is worth more than an empty box of the same type.

Yep, I've been there.

I'd like a copy of his book on cartridge boxes from Winchester, but I just don't want to pop for that kind of money.