Found my unicorn.

imp

Ok..maybe not a unicorn, but just about as rare in my neck of the woods. The Ruger American Rimfire are hard enough to find, and the threaded barrel version seemed to be unattainable. Until the fine folks at Kinsey's Outdoors let me know they had gotten a couple in stock. They even had good deals on Vortex scopes.

Now I just need the snow to melt from the range...

20160125_150436.jpg

imp

It feels solid. The stock isn't as flimsy as it looks, and while the barrel isn't a full bull barrel, it's maybe only one contour away from that. It's got a good balance to it. And the trigger is pretty decent.

So far, the only gripes are that the magazines require more wiggling to seat than a 10/22, and the bolt throw is a little gritty. I'm hoping that both will smooth up a little with use.

As compared to the Ruger American Centerfire, the stock is more rigid, and it's obviously smaller and lighter. And it doesn't come with scope mounts, like it's centerfire brothers.

Last edited:

imp

It's the Crossfire 2-7x. They had it for $109 and I couldn't say no. I've heard good things about the brand, but this is my first.

pwalston25

I haven't tried that one but do have a HP 2-8. I like the vortex optics, have 5 of them. You simply can't beat their warranty, thats why I have them. Im sure there is better out there, but not for the price

Ibmikey

Imp, i certainly approve of your choice, i just got the compact with a threaded barrel which my dealer got from Davidsons. They had a number of them at the time. I have not fired it as yet since we have a bit of snow and mud at the old gravel pit, mounted a 4x12 scope the dealer gave me at the same time so i am ready to put some holes in tin cans. Another bolt action is quite a change from my 15-22 or dedicated AR in .22 lr but it should be a load of fun.

hartcreek

Now you need to send in the $200 check and wait to get a stamp so you can get the add on to that threaded barrel. I like the Mark 1 and one of these days I will wander in to a place that has one of those clamp on the front site adaptors so I to can join the can club.

feets

I just picked up a Ruger American Predator in 22-250. It, too, has the medium diameter threaded barrel. This one has been on my "as soon as convenient" list since it was introduced. A seller had one listed at $7 over wholesale so I took it home.

The first shots happened this weekend. It is a dandy little plinker. It's awesome for a cheap gun and will hold it's own against much higher priced rifles. In fact, it turned in groups well under an inch with some random 69 grain loads I rolled out.

As for the bolt being gritty, if your Rimfire is anything like my Predator the "grit" you are feeling is likely the machining on the bolt. Those bolts are clearly lathe turned and the finish, while nice, is not the mirror polish everyone wants. That is one way they keep the cost down.
As a machinist, I can appreciate the finish and understand why it is what it is. They get a thumbs up from me.
It will make a bit of a light zipping sound when you slide it back and forth. I don't mind that at all. It's actually kinda functional, especially in a caliber as dirty as a 22. The gunge can collect between the tiny grooves and not affect the action. Think of it like tread on a tire.

Enjoy your new shooter. I certainly enjoy mine.