Found my "Unicorn"

"Unicorn": That one gun you have wanted since it came out but either didn't have the money or couldn't find one when you did have the money.

Well, the stars aligned and I found this on a local forum and immediately messaged the seller that I wanted it. Brand New in box with EGW 20moa base already installed for about $300 less than I could have bought it in a store (if I could have found one)...

Savage 12 Long Range Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor with HS Precision Stock. 26" heavy profile barrel, target accutrigger (Which is adjustable down to 6oz). Just need a scope and bipod and I'll be set. Picked up some hornady dies this morning. On to the Pics...

oldscot3

Pretty cool. I've been wanting a Ruger Target II in that chambering. The only ones I've seen are on GB at inflated prices... I guess I'll have to keep searching for my unicorn.

DaleA

Congratulations!!!

Nice to hear something nice happening to someone once in a while.

Looking forward to a range report.

FairWarning

I picked up my long range rifle late last year, but still haven't decided on the scope yet.

I have a Savage Model 10 FCP-K with heavy fluted 24" barrel in .308. The guys at my LGS are pushing me toward a Leupold MkIV, which I have no doubt would allow me to reach the full potential of the rifle, but I don't know if I really need that much. Not to mention the MkIV costs considerably more than I paid for the rifle brand new! :eek:

Anyone have suggestions for the scope? I want it to be a truly functional tactical/sniper outfit for long range shooting and I don't plan to buy another scope for this rifle for a long, long time, if ever...

oldscot3

I got my scope before the rifle, it's a Leupold VX3 4.5x14-40 30mmLR with side focus parallax adjustment. It has what they call a fine duplex, works good for punching paper but still able to hunt. I think it was about $600.00 ish.

It's currently on a 270 and I haven't shot it past 100, but I really like it so far.

nemesiss45

Well, not "since it came out", because i was not alive, but i have wanted a mauser C96 broomhandle for as long as i can remember , but have never had the money. Then the stars aligned and my dad surprised me with one for christmas this year.

ec42128dce03f1bcc4564dec2d5d50a5.jpg

Trouble is... now i need to decide what my next unicorn is.

Anyone have suggestions for the scope? I want it to be a truly functional tactical/sniper outfit for long range shooting and I don't plan to buy another scope for this rifle for a long, long time, if ever...

Optically the Mark 4 was nice, but the turrets were very bad, which surprised me for as much as it costs. When I say bad, what I mean is they were not very tactile... Very mushy feeling when turning them. The clicks weren't really clicks, more like bumps... Couldn't hear them, and could barely feel them.

When I compared it to the Vortex Viper PST, the PST optically was as good as the Mark 4, but the turrets on the PST blew away the mark 4. So much more tactile where you could close you're eyes and hear and feel the good solid clicks as you twisted the turret. I've all but decided the PST is the scope for this rifle.

9x19

MY EYES!!!

:D

Good looking rifle, if you can't hit 'em with the boolits, you can probably just lean forward a bit and tap them on the head with the end of the barrel. :p

It really is a nice looking machine, can I have it?

Txhillbilly

Before you toss money out on the Vortex PST,you might want to take a look at the Sightron SIII series scopes.
I see you list DFW as your home base,I live south of FT.Worth,and would gladly let you look through any of the 5 Sightrons that I have on my rifles.

The PST has more features,but the Sightron has better glass and functions.