Found a winner!

the45er

I wanted to "spiff up" my Magnum Research 1911 with a custom coating. I did a little research and 60 miles away from my home was a company called IA Coatings (www.IAcoatings.com). The internet reviews were excellent so I drove in to town with my slide disassembled and ready for coating. The guys there could not have been more accommodating. We discussed coating options and they showed me around their first class facility. I decided on their proprietary coating they call "Blackstone" as it was only offered in black and gray (Graystone). I went in thinking to get a dark blue cerakote but in looking at the cerakote vs. Graystone, it was a no brainer.

Here is the result. I really, really like it. So professionally done and while I haven't "tested" its durability, the reviews on it suggest I have nothing to worry about.

Not related to the slide, but I did have a big disappointment. I had planned on getting the slide back and installing a Hi-Viz fiber optic front sight, which I did. Not only was it a bugger to fit, but when I got it in place and shot the gun, it shot 8-10 inches low at 15 yards. I reinstalled the factory sight (which went in perfectly by the way, suggesting the coating was not the issue).

Attachments

• Magnum Research 1911 w IA Coating.jpg
    Magnum Research 1911 w IA Coating.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 135

tuckerdog1

Turned out great. Do you have any "before" pics?
My MR 1911C is one of my favorite 1911s.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg 8 (22).jpg
    unnamed.jpg 8 (22).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited: