found a rifle

MacGille

Hey guys I just found a Marlin 39A .22 rifle in the back of our old office. It has a missing magazine tube and no buttplate. A few rusty areas, but over all in good condition. Does anyone out there know anything about these rifles? are they a good piece? Is it worth repairing. I know the Marlin co has parts listed and it doesn't look like it would be hard to restore this rifle. What are they worth? (curiosity only, it's not for sale)

Hedley

Send a pm over to Bennn. I think he just sold one. From what I've seen, everybody loves theirs.

bennnn

I just traded it to TRAZAR here,, on a local deal... It was friggin awesome,, but way too nice for me to roughhouse with.....

Those are considered to be the most accurate .22 production rifles ever made... And they are also the longest produced .22's ever made....

It was the rifle Annie Oakley used to dump a whole tube into one hole once upon a time....

The one I had was super accurate, and not too picky about ammo...

I almost miss it.................

srtrax

FOUND A RIFLE :) How lucky can you be! Yes the Marlin 22 lever rifle is a fine rifle, it would very much be worth getting the parts for it. As to price, i dont know right off hand what they are getting these days. A lot more than what you have in it :D , get the parts and let us know how it shoots you lucky @*$# :p

rgates

I got a 39a for $25.00 because it was rusty, broken butt plate and the stock was splattered with house paint. Took it to a gunsmith I know and I thought he was going to soil himself. It was made in '53 and even though it's not old enough to be of much antique value he said that all 39a's are good, but they don't make 'em like that any more. Restored it and it's my favorite .22. I could not believe how accurate it was.

Try looking here for parts;
http://www.e-gunparts.com/

Looks like on gunbroker they're going for $250.00 to $400.00. But I wouldn't part with mine.

bennnn

MacGille,, rack the lever open and flip it over... The serial # will be under the lever... The first two #'s will be spaced away from the last group.. The first two are the year it was made.. The older the better.....

FirstFreedom

Yes, I'd repair it - they are very good shooters and pretty to boot! Must be rough to find cool guns you didn't know you had.

Dfariswheel

The Marlin 39-A is an American classic.
It's still made today from forged and milled steel and American walnut.
The basic rifle is pretty much just like it was in 1897.

Accuracy is usually astounding, and quality was always high.

On serial numbers, if the rifle has a letter prefix, you date it by that letter.
Here's a link to date the rifle. Page down to the post-war 1948 and later guns link:
http://armscollectors.com/sn/marlinlookup.php

Here's a link to a LOT of info on the 39 in The High Road's "Marlin Club".

Included on the last page is sources for parts to restore it.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=261635

As for value, the older post-war rifles are actually worth more than newer rifles, even when the older ones aren't in great shape.
The price for a good post-war 39-A seems to start around $350.00 to $400.00.

cheygriz

Too bad they don't make it in the little carbine version they used to call the "Marlin Mountie.":) :) Now that little 39 was really something.:D

MacGille

I just checked the ser # again and it is J 5725. Marlin says it was made in 1952. I don't have the parts yet. Can't wait to shoot it. If it is as acurate as my Mossberg M46 (made in 1937) it will be a gem.

StrikeEagle

That rifle has an EXCELLENT reputation... it's roundly agreed to be something special.

My impression is that the older ones, like yours, are nicer than the current manufacture. I can't vouch for that personally, but it wouldn't surprise me.

If that were mine I'd most certainly get it fixed up... no question about it. :)

Have fun, shoot straight! :D

Trazar

Just saw this. The Marlin I got from Bennn is soooooooooo sweet. It's the most fun and accurate 22 I have ever shot. I can see why people consider these things keepers!

skeeter1

are they a good piece? Is it worth repairing.

I'd say you made a great find. I've had a Marlin 39D (carbine version of the 39A, pistol grip unlike the straight-gripped 39M) since 1971, and it's definately worth investing in restoring it. .22 rifles don't come much better made or more fun to shoot.

MacGille

No still waiting. I ordered the parts from Marlin, but they didn't have the outer tube in stock. I found a newer model tube at Numrich and ordered it. I hope I can make it fit. After hearing about the 39A from you guys I'm anxious to shoot it. Maybe when ABNDOC gets back from vacation we can do a comparison shoot with my Mossberg,his 10/22 and my grandson's marlin m60.

jkingrph

I have one that Dad bought for me when I was in the second grade back in 1952. Although I do not shoot it too much, if I had to part with any of my guns it absolutly would be the last to go, and not by choice.