Found a grease gun

skeeter

Just thought I would share this story. I was in the 4th grade and the year was 1958. We used to go out for lunch and then walk on a bike path behind the school (PS 188 in Queens NY). I noticed a piece of metal covered with some leaves and when I kicked the leaves away there was a gun, which years latter I recognized as a Grease gun. I played with it and even pulled the trigger (had no mag in it) and then left it and told the school principle I found a gun. I went back to class and 10 minutes latter 2 officers came into the classroom and asked me to show it to them. I remember I asked them if they could put the siren on and they did. Showed them the gun, they looked around and found nothing else. I remember thinking it had a lot of gadgets attached to it like the ejection cover and some other 2nd trigger(?) thing plus its wire stock. Didn't really look like a real gun to me at the time. It was about this time that there was some mobster who was machine gunned in an Italian restaurant on Queens Blvd. and I wondered if this gun was used there.

Valkman

That's a neat story! A few weeks ago I got to shoot not just any grease gun, but a 1945 one in like-new condition. When the owner bought it it had never been fired and was still in the original wrapping. Beautiful, and .45 is fun in full auto!

James K

Member In Memoriam
The M3 and M3A1 are fun to shoot. They don't have the romance of the Thompsons, but for practical purposes are about as effective. The M3A1 is a lot better gun, with a lot of neat improvements, like the mag loader built into the stock and the threaded hole in the stock for a cleaning brush or slotted tip. Plus the stock can be used as a wrench for the barrel. Even better, you could take the gun down for cleaning without removing the lower housing like you have to do with the M3.

The M3 has that "finger" type cocking that was not only a pain in the rear as it was easily bent, but also made the gun harder to take down.

The thing I like about the M3/M3A1 is that the bolt rides on rods, which allows for a lot of space in there for stuff like dirt, leaves, old enemy tanks, and that sort of thing without stopping the gun. AFAIK, the only other gun to use that idea is the AR-18/180, which (IMHO) is a better gun than the AR-15/M16.

Jim

luchs

i have a grease gun made in 9mm para made for the OSS ....they use launch them to the european resistance...the weapons is can use the sten's magazine..

9mm1033

I knew a WWII vet (who has since passed away) who told me a story when he was in a building and a German Tiger tank spotted him hiding. All he had was his issued grease gun. Couldn't do a thing except fire away at the tank. Of course the obvious happened, the tank fired a round into the building. He remembers the blast and his helmet being blown off his head. Somehow he survived the shell. It was funny to listen how he said he went up against a Tiger tank with only a grease gun. Funny now...not then. I also remember he said those guns were junk...for combat.

GeorgeF

Neat story! As far as combat goes - I would be happy to happy to have a Grease Gun in my hands. Downside of course is that if you're in middle of field and enemy combatants are seen about 100 - 200 yds away, you're not very likely to be able to hit anyone with the Grease Gun. But for Close Combat work it's terrific.

Some people will complain that its too slow a ROF for combat - I heartily disagree. I found it to be very pleasant to shoot and very controllable. Very high ROF guns generally not as controllable. All depends on the design of course too. The PPS41 was very high rate of fire, but much smaller cartridge.

Many the vet had a M3 - they were a little more problematic. THey really paid attention when they re-designed the M3A1.

luchs

the 7,62x25 tokarev fired by PPSH is more powerfull that 45 acp....and give more penetration...

R1145

When I was in the Guard, the S-4 sent me on a mission to burn up some leftover ammo because it was the end of the Training Year, and supposedly if you didn't use all your ammo up, the allotment would be cut for next year.

Now, I think that it was wrong, but then I was a new 2LT, he was a CPT, so I was, like, "Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full...".

Among the stuff we had to use was 2000 rounds of match-grade .45 ammo. I grabbed a couple of M3A1s from the arms room (we still used them for armored vehicle crewman).

I have a favorable opinion of the grease gun. It's compact, handy and I don't remember having any stoppages. Mechanically, it's simple, safe and sturdy. I would definitely like to carry one, but only because it looks so cool.

On the downside, you can't hit **** with it. It has an almost perceptable lock time, so that you pull the trigger and wait for the bolt to "ker-thump" forward. Firing was controlable, and it was fun to blast away with it: "K-chunk, K-chunk, K-chunk...".

For a "Dirty Dozen" kind of mission, kicking in doors and spraying rooms, I think it's great. Other than that, stick with a rifle.

Ozzieman

My father said the same thing

Great for knocking down doors and spray and pray, but M1 grand was the best tool.
He landed on D day with one, Was where the Gerneral said "NUTS" to the germans and later walked into Dachu.
Said the only time he shot some one and knew he killed was with a greas gun, was at Dachu and was proud to say he shot an unarmed german that had given up, shot him several times.
He liked the gun for the weight but for open ground was in his words "piece of crap"

guy sajer

Great stories !

I just took delivery of my M3 . It is 100% reliable with about 800 rds of lead reloads , Wolf and PMC ball .
Shootablity wise , I like my Savage M1 Thompson better ... so far . But , I've been shooting it a few times a year for about 15 yrs . I think the M3 will grow on me :cool:

SIGSHR

Regarding the accuracy of the "Grease Gun", remember a bleary eyed GI
who is lucky to get 4 hours sleep in any 24 hour period and is living off cold
C rations or barely warmed A rations is not going to be that great a shot.