Found a FDE Glock 19 Gen 4

David the Gnome

And couldn't pass it up.

g19fde01.jpg

It's one of the limited edition FDE framed Glocks from Lipsey's. I picked this one up from Bud's retail store. Ended up getting it for the same price as the black Gen 4's were selling for. I used to have an OD Glock 19 and it's one of the few guns I really regret selling. I won't be making that mistake twice.

I'll be breaking it in tomorrow. :D

Edit: for anyone who is curious, that is the medium backstrap installed on there.

Last edited:

David the Gnome

I looked at both generations in the store but I liked the new grip texture a lot on the Gen 4 so I decided to go with that. Plus being a Gen 4 makes it at least slightly different from my old OD Glock 19. The color is definitely better on the FDE frame I think. The old OD frame was an odd color, it shifted back and forth between green and brown depending on the light. This is dark earth tone indoors and a lighter tan color in the sun.

ClydeFrog

New Glock 19 9x19mm...

That's slick. I'm impressed with the limited ed Glock 19 pistol.
I'd read a post that Glock no longer uses the "tennifer" type surface on the metal pistol parts. Glock always stated how great & long lasting the tennifer process was, so I don't really know how it's better.
The light grey color looks different too. If I did buy a FDE frame Glock 19 pistol, I may add the CeraKote or Bearcoat to the metal parts & Glock mags.
A green shade would accent the FDE frame well, IMO.

Clyde
www.apwcogan.com www.bearcoat.com www.robarguns.com

Coach Z

How limited of a run is the FDE? Is it something worth buying and just having it sit in the safe? The OD framed glocks are going for silly money on gunbroker because they aren't made any more and just wondering of these will do the same.

RT

Glock really should make OD and FDE frames as a standard option. They would make another fortune. But then, I will hold my breath for a GLock single stack 9mm too.

TxFlyFish

If u did not have a OD right beside u could easily mistake these FDE frames as OD

About the number of guns lypseys had to order to get this special treatment it is blown WAY out of proportion, it is not in the 20000-50000

Last edited:

702Shooter

GlockVector Industries is about to release a new FDE Glock 17 called the PV17 A.K.A. Progressive Vector 17.

Here is a pic of their prototype taken at their T&E last week.

They start with a Gen 3 G17 and transform it into this.

ProgressiveVector17.jpg

Like I said, this is the prototype which is why the finish doesn't have the best detail. Everybody who shot this thing has raved about it. The T&E was performed by Progressive Force Concepts during a training session using instructors and those involved with The Venetian Hotel's executive protection detail.

I'll be posting a review of it within the next week.

centerfire69

REALLY

First off beautiful glock my friend ;) . Does anyone know if glock really stopped using the tenifer process? If so what would they do to make the metal stronger/corrosion resistant since its not stainless. Just curious as i plan to purchase more

RT

My understanding is that Glock doesn't use the "Tenifer" treatment anymore, but a slightly modified form of Ferritic nitrocarburizing that does not utilize cyanide

centerfire69

how long

any idea what glocks have the ferritic nitrocarburizing treatment not the tenifer? What gens or years produced ? i have gen 3 RTF2 what would it have?

deadduck357

Glock could not get the Tenifer process passed through the EPA for U.S. production. All U.S. manufactured slides have the gaseous ferritic nitrocarburizing treatment. 'Tenifer' is a trademarked name for nitriding, like Melonite, Black Nitridox and such. Despite their trademarked names they are a nitriding process and the final results are virtually the same, case hardening. Glock slides produced in Austria still have the 'Tenifer' treatment but from my understanding are in transition to the U.S. 'safe' alternative.

David the Gnome

Had a blast shooting the Glock 19 today. I was really just doing the break-in more than really serious target shooting but it shot very well. No malfunctions so far, not even with the 33rd mag :D. I was actually shooting a little better with it than I did with my Glock 17 last time I had it out. The Gen 4 grip on the Glock 19 really fits my hand well. Drawing and double-tapping was really easy, the sights fell directly into place every time. I think this is going to make an excellent carry/self-defense gun. I really wanted a carry weapon to add to my rotation that would provide a full-hand grip and a decent capacity. I think this is going to fit the bill quite well. :cool:

David the Gnome

Thought I would throw these two pics on here to show the difference in the FDE and the OD frames.

Glock 19 Flat Dark Earth on top and Olive Drab on bottom:
g19fde01.jpg

glock19od01.jpg

You can see that there is actually a pretty big difference between the two. I definitely like the FDE better than the OD. I've still got access to my old Glock 26 OD, I may see if I can get ahold of it long enough to do some side by side pictures if anyone is interested.

Mrgunsngear

There's actually a pretty big difference in the OD models as well. I have one made in 06 and another in 08. The 08 is considerably darker than the 06 one which has more of a green-ish tint...