Found a 6" blue Python in a pawn shop today...

Wayward_Son

...serial number 99476E. Googled the serial and found out that this is a 1978 model.

The action is buttery smooth. I love my S&W 686P in single action, but the double action trigger on this Colt is something else.

It's obviously been fired. I didn't have my Streamlight pen light with me, so I couldn't check the line-up between the cylinder and the barrel. Cylinder gap didn't appear to be too large, but I didn't have a set of feeler gauges on me. Didn't inspect the forcing cone too seriously, but I didn't see any obvious damage at a cursory glance.

The cylinder locks up, and I mean tight. Cock the hammer (and savor the smooth action), hold it, pull the trigger, let the hammer down, and keep the trigger down: checking for cylinder play, this thing is locked up tightly. Very little (almost zero compared to my 686P) rotational play, and no noticeable end play or runout. The action appears to be tight and solid, and if the cylinder bores line up with the barrel, and the forcing cone is in good condition, this looks like a good shooter.

As far as overall condition, it has seen better days. There are several dings in the top ribbing where it got knocked around. The bluing is slightly faded in a few discrete areas (but overall the bluing is beautiful, very deep and dark). The grips appear to be aftermarket wood grips, but they are horrendous and would be the first thing to go.

The pawn shop wants $950 for it. I'm thinking $750-800.

What say you, oh wise firearm collective?

Last edited:

jwxspoon

That's pricey, but not necessarily too much so. I picked mine up in trade.

I'd say go for it if you can get them down into your price range. They aren't making any more.

jw

KyJim

The Python, unlike a S&W, should lock up that tight. If not, it needs some maintenance. At your price, it would make a great shooter.

pistolet1

Wayward Son

Sounds alright mechanically; mainly your issues are with the outward appearance. Maybe see if they'll go $825 to $850. If not, just wait to see how long it sits there (probably not too long), or continue to search for a nicer one (and pay a lot more for it).

Wayward_Son

I'm a picky buyer for everything I buy. I appreciate quality and don't mind paying for it (but, with that said, I also appreciate good value).

I guess I feel that if I'm going to buy a Python (and I will eventually) then I want it to be in extremely good condition. I want it to be the one I want (blued four-inch). And I wont mind paying for it when I find it.

I think I'll pass on this six-inch. I just don't like those dings along the top ribbing strap. Every time I would pick the gun up I know my eyes and hands would be drawn to those "flaws". This was the first Python I've ever handled, and I did love the action, but I don't want to make a hasty purchase out of Python Fever.

Then again... maybe I'll go have a second look. Just to be sure. :eek:

RPSmith

Wayward Son, I feel your pain...

There's a 6" python at my local shop that I fondle everytime I go in. It sounds as if this one is in a little better shape than yours (a little holster wear at the muzzle, cylinder drag, some variations in blueing from wear) but it is so mechanically sound.....It's also asking $1200 which is steep even for a pretty well kept one.

I also want a 4" near-mint model. Heck, I just want to cycle through the action a few hundred times:). I'm also waiting but dang, it ain't easy. I'll be by there tomorrow and I'll ask to fondle it again. Patience, my friend, patience:) All the best, RP

darrentxs

For Pythons factory boxes and original wood grips are very expensive $250 + each. Best to get them with the gun if possible. I'd want a great deal otherwise. A little honest wear to the blueing never bothered me but negligent scratches and heavy dings turn me away. I would have passed on it too.

Last edited: