Fortunately no Ka-Boom and a lesson learned.

ClayInTx

I had the g-kids out to the farm for a day of shooting. Wasn’t going to use the expensive factory new stuff so I used some reloads from a professional reload company.

My grandson was doing a double-tap and one round “squirted” trash out the side of the revolver. Thanks be to God he realized something was wrong and didn’t fire again. He swung out the cylinder and checked the barrel. The bullet was still in the barrel.

I used a punch and got the bullet out.

The remaining cartridges in the bag of reloads will now be destroyed and NEVER NEVER NEVER again will I use reloads from a reloader, regardless of their reputation.

A person had told me it was dangerous to use reloads that I had not done myself and he was just proven one hundred percent right. I can now join him in telling anyone who is thinking of using reloads by someone else to not do it. I don’t care how good their reputation is supposed to be.

I spent some knee-time last night about this.

Bud Helms

'Sounds like you "dodged a bullet" as we say. ;)

Good move on the grandson's part.

I often get funny looks when I decline the request to load for someone. Not only do I not shoot others' reloads, I do not offer my reloads to others.

A very lucky day for the family there. Good show.

jdscholer

I've done a lot of reloading for others, or been shooting with a buddy who used plenty of my shells while we were out, and I'm starting to rethink it. Anymore, I just don't feel like being even remotely responsible for a disaster with someone else's equipment or flesh.

Also, I never want to hold someone else responsible for the same kinda disaster to myself. jd

Don P

The remaining cartridges in the bag of reloads will now be destroyed
Being these were paid for why not try to shoot them while paying attention to what is going on with them firing. Just my view point seems stupid to toss away ammo that may be good with the only problem load being the one encountered

ClayInTx

As far as going ahead and using the rest of the reloads there is a question in my mind that if one was a squib what about the others? If the guy reloading was inattentive and made a squib is it possible he was again inattentive and over charged one?

Once is enough.

LukeA

Wow! That's terrible. I'm very happy no one was hurt.

I've shot exactly one box of professional reloads and that's it. They were low power and hideously inaccurate. 50 rounds of that and I started to think something was wrong with the gun. Then I loaded a mag of Remington white box and immediately POI rejoined POA and group size fell by more than a factor of 2.

Buying somebody else's reloads is a false economy. It may be a few dollars cheaper to purchase than factory ammo, but at what cost comes that monetary savings?

NWPilgrim

Good advice, and I'm glad your grandson was taught proper safety and shooting.

If you want to save money reload. If don't want to reload then accept you will be paying factory prices. You are right that "unknown reputation" reloads are false economy. I would trust reloads from someone like BlackHills, but Joe's Bait Shop reloads not so much!

Uncle Buck

I sent a copy of your post to my buddy. He was (is) mad at me because I will not reload his ammo.
I have offered to show him how it is done and help him with getting everything set-up and going, using my own equipment. He just does not have the time to do it.
There are very few people whose reloads I would shoot and most of them do not want you to shoot their reloads anyway.

I am glad none of the kids got hurt. I can only imagine the sinking feeling in your stomach when you realized how close this call could have been if your grandson had not been paying attention.

I would probably take the ammunition back to where-ever you bought it and ask them to notify the reloader to kind place it where it would not get any sunshine.