Former outdoors editor Brister dies

sm

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/deaths/3226119

HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Death Notices

The Outdoors and shooting community has lost another Great Man. :(

RIP Mr. Brister. Thank you for mentoring me, and countless others. You passed forward to so many in not only your classic work : Shotgunning: The Art and the Science, , The Golden Crescent, - also in the way you carried yourself and lived life. You may be gone, you will never be forgotten - Your teachings and examples live on.

Goodbye my friend.

Steve

P95Carry

"The shooting world has lost a great friend and advocate," said Shel Bascom, a family friend for 25 years. "Bob immersed himself as deeply into shooting sports as he did into writing, and he was always helping new shooters. We won't see the likes of him again."
Steve - I hate it when any folks of this ilk pass on - because these days it seems like they are not gonna be replaced.

Looking at the plus side - he leaves a great legacy of information and achievement.

Larry Ashcraft

He also was instrumental in bringing "sporting clays" target shooting from Europe to the United States and was recognized as an expert hunter, marksman and shotgunner.
I've been looking for his book, Steve, on your recommendation. Now I'll have to look a little harder.

:(

sm

Larry-

try www.abebooks.com.

I hope that link is correct, my monitor is kinda blurry right now. I am so so sad, check your PMs and you will see why. My '74 SX1 with over 200K rds is very special to me, so many memories - Why Brister even enjoyed shooting it. :(

9mmMike

I do not have his book but I've heard Dave McC quote if often enough that I would surely trust it. It sounds like he was a real great guy. Thank goodness he passed on a lot of his knowledge before he died. We are fortunate to be able to learn from his experience.

Mike

Larry Ashcraft

Thank you for the link, Steve. Yes, it is a good link, and I now have a first edition cloth cover on its way.

Too bad it took Mr. Brister's death to encourage me to get his book, but at least some good came from it.

kudu

Another great one passes, :(

At least he has a great legacy in all the shooters that he has mentored and helped through the years.

LHB1

Extremely sorry to hear about Bob Brister's death. He not only knew a lot about shotgun shooting but could communicate it clearly. A rare combination of skills indeed. Did not know him personally even though we lived in the same city. Did manage to acquire an autographed copy some years back of his book "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science". The book helped me considerably. (No, it is NOT for sale.)

My condolences to his family and friends.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Spinner

SM suggested to me that I should buy myself a copy of Bob Brister's book Shotgunning: The Art and the Science. One of the smartest things I've done was buy a copy and read it. Since then I've read and re-read that book and each time I do I gain something else from it, another nuance, a point is reinforced. Every shotgunner I show it to wants to borrow it and I made the mistake of lending it out to a friend once .... I nearly didn't get it back. I never loan it out now, but I strongly recommend that everyone interested in shotguns buy their own copy and read it.

Its so sad to hear of the passing of this wonderful, smart, witty person. An enquiring mind with the practical skills to answer intelligent questions and someone who wanted to communicate that information to the rest of us so that we might also benefit from the knowledge.

To Mr Brister: Thank you Sir for taking the time and making the effort to not only experiment and innovate, but to share it all with us. You will be missed.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
We are all in debt to him. He moved Shotgunning from an arcane art to something of a science without losing the Magic. His innovations and experiments included ammo, shotguns (he had input in the R&D for the Winchester X-1 and 101), and shooting methods.

It wasn't just his dedication that led him to have his wife drive a moving target around.

It wasn't just him rasping down the comb of an expensive shotgun to center his hits at a big multi day match, when he had just RAN all the targets that day.

It was his unwavering idea that Shotgunning was fun and anyone could do it with a little effort and some expert instruction. He spent a lot of time providing that instruction.

And damn, the man could write. An old story in one of the sporting magazines about following up a wounded Cape Buff in thick cover beat anything by Capstick or Ruark for sheer adrenaline consumption. The bull died within arm's reach.

Men and women are shooting more and better because he cared. That counts a lot in my book.....