Foreign Gun Makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy reali

While many of us would probably prefer to buy American-made products, the sad fact is that not much is made here anymore. The very computers we are using to communicate here are not likely to have a Made In America sticker on them. Cars? Even ones with American names might be made outside of our borders. Sadly, many of our guns are also made in foreign lands,

There are some countires that do make pretty good guns. I really like Italian-Made firearms. I like the way they look. Baretta pistols are better looking then Glocks or Rugers or others I can think of. I am not saying that the Italian pistols are better or more reliable, they are not so squarish looking. I doubt that anyone can argue against Italian shotguns as far being pleasing to the eyes. I have a friend that has an Italian side-by-side. I don't remember the brand, but it is one of the lesser known ones. If I was a gun locked in a safe, I would want this shotgun next to me.

Of all the countires that currently suply guns ot the US, which ones are your favorite? Besides America, which country do you think makes the best modern day firearms? Not only looks, but reliability too?

tanner33

There's still a lot made here

My Dell tower was at least assembled here, don't know how many of the components are US. My last car purchase is 97% American made, which is a Honda Accord and my only two guns are American made, S&W M19 .357 and a Ruger SR9c. I try to buy American made when it's a good product and at least competitive price.

If I were to choose one country besides the US for guns then I'd have to say Germany, because I'd love to have a few Sig Sauer handguns.

Jo6pak

I don't give much thought to where my guns are made. I choose them on quality, and how they feel.

I own or have owned guns from Sweden, Yugoslava, Czech Republic, Korea, Italy, USA, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, China, and probably a few more that I can't think of right now.

For a favoite, I 'd have to go with Deutchland. (HK, Sig, Walther, Mauser)

Dre_sa

I must say I do like German guns.
some of their pistols and rifles are simply awesome looking. Also really reliable.

I do like some Belgian stuff too. The FAL I think is one of the sexiest rifles ever.

American stuff is also awesome. The 1911, the m-14, the M1. and the BAR, lets not forget.

For me it's not so much where the gun was manufactured, but rather the design. I'd be just as happy buying a springfiled 1911 made in brazil, as one made here. I'd also be as happy buying a DSA FAL, as one of the original production FAL's. I'd also love to get my hands on a South African R1.
And my HK45 is assembled and proofed here in the states. Doesn't bother me one bit, it's still a H&K, and the parts (with the exception of the frame as I understnad) are made in Germany. It still works and it's still wonderful.

Last edited:

Crankylove

I guess my favorite foreign country for currently produced firearms would be Brazil, have two that were made there (gotta love Imbel).

The only other foreign made firearm I own is Russian........but since it was made in 1946, I don't think it counts (also have a Danish designed, but not Danish manufacture, rifle made in 1895....don't suppose it would count either though)

2afreedom

I have to confess that I have a soft spot for Russian and Chinese made SKS and AK rifles. I like their simplicity, reliability, and overall toughness. For a while in the 80s and 90s it seemed American gun companies were falling behind Glock, Sig, and some of the other foreign makers. It's nice to see American companies offering a more varied product line (like Smith with their AR-15) or more full-capacity and concealable guns (Ruger LCP/offering "hi-cap" magazines for the Mini).

ejhc11

Europe....

It just seems the ones I like or would like all come from Europe. I like neat and intriguing tactical stuff.

Germany - HKs
Swiss - SIGs
Austria - Glocks, Steyr
Finland - Sako, Valmet
Belgium - FNs
Russia - AKs

US - Remington M700s, 870s, Marlin 22s, Fulton Armory M1As/M1 Garands/M1 Carbines

Does owning an 883 Sportster count for buying USA?

Don P

Well I thought that Beretta ( not Baretta ) has a manufacturing complex in Accokeek Maryland. My wifes 92fs is made in Italy and my 92fs and 950 are made in Accokeek Maryland known as Beretta U.S.A.

Pilot

Its a world market. Where things are really manufactured versus assembled is very blurry. We sell lots of products to foreign nations, however we buy a lot more than we sell.

I prefer 1911's from the USA, although I've had a Brazilian made Springfield since 1993 and its one fine 1911.

My revolvers are all from the U.S., however most of my semi-autos are from; the Czech Republic, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Russia, and Bulgaria.

divil

Of the guns I've owned and used, the US designed/made ones always seem to be ahead of the rest. I've noticed that where people have a choice available (i.e. in America) they tend to choose American guns more often. Sure, Russian and Czech and Italian guns are very popular all over the world, but it's mostly among people who have their guns chosen for them (police & armed forces).

oneounceload

England, Scotland, Italy, Spain and Germany.

(Think Purdey, Brown, Fabbri, AyA, Kreighoff respectively)

Best made, best looking, highest quality

Skans

Best countries for producing guns....sort of depends what type of guns, but overall, I'd say:

Switzerland, Italy, maybe Germany, maybe Israel - I sure would like to have a semi-auto version of Israel's "Negav" belt-fed/optional magazine, folding stock friggin rifle for all occasions.:D

P5 Guy

Where Are Guns Made?

My buddy works for FN in Colombia SC and they make Winchesters along with the FN line of pistols and rifles for the US military.

Most of the guns in my safe are made in the USA but most were made 60 years ago.

madmag

You can look at my list of American Made.

Look at post#14.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421267

This is from my American made list.

American Derringer (sub-compact)
Beretta USA U22 (.22 semi)
Beretta USA (M9 & 92FS 9mm)
Briley Manufacturing Inc. (custom 1911)
Bond Arms (sub-compact)
Browning USA Buckmark (.22 semi)
Bryco Arms (small & large frame semi's)
Charter Arms (Revolvers)
Cobra Enterprises (sub-compact)
Colt (1911 & SA Revolvers)
Cylinder & slide (custom 1911)
Dan Wesson (1911)
Detonics (1911)
Ed Brown (1911)
Excel Industries (compact .380 semi's)
Freedom Arms (SA Revolvers)
Fusion Firearms (custom 1911)
Heritage Manufacturing (SA Revolvers)
Hi-point (large & small frame semi's)
High Standard (1911 pattern & .22 semi's)
Kahr (sub-compact & compact semi's)
Kel-Tec (sub-compact)
Kimber (1911)
Les Baer (1911)
L. W. Seecamp Co. (sub-compact)
Magnum research (large bore semi's & SA Revlover, and Micro semi)
Nighthawk Custom (1911)
North American Arms (sub-compact)
Nowlin (1911 Custom Mfg.)
Olimpics Arms (custom 1911)
Para USA (formerly ParaOrdnance) (1911)
Phoenix Arms (.22 semi's)
Rock River Arms (LAR semi's, .223 & 9mm high mag. capacity pistols.) (not for holster carry).
SCCY Industries (sub-compact)
STI (1911)
SV (1911)
Rohrbaugh (sub-compact)
RPM Merrill (Single Shot)
Ruger (Full range of Revolvers & Semi's)
S&W (Full Range of Revolvers & Semi's)
Thompson Center Fire (Single Shot)
United States Fire Arms Mfg. Co. (1911 pattern & SA Revolvers)
Wilson Combat (1911)
Wildey Inc. (large bore gas operated semi's)

PS. MY last update was March 2009, so I am sure there are changes since that time.

Last edited:

THEZACHARIAS

Israel for rifles (if only they would start marketing a semi-auto Tavor at reasonable price), the UK has always been the gold standard of sporting shotguns, and Germany & Austria as the runners-up for pistol technology (cant beat the good ole USofA for handguns).

I do give Beretta credit for the M9 being very reliable and safe, but I also want my handguns to be accurate, ergonomic, lightweight, and have a better trigger pull than a carnival pop-gun. Sorry Italy :p

Renfield

I own a few Austrian guns but the vast majority of mine are made in the most anti gun states in the country

SigP6Carry

I actually have no drive to own any US made guns. My reason is that most of the more reliable and desirable modern guns tend to be foreign made. I'd love US made surplus weapons like the M1 (in the Garand, Carbine and Thompson variety) but, for a good, reliable CCW or SD weapon, I generally want guns that are tried and proven. Unfortunately those guns include Walther, Glocks, XDs and Sigs at this point. For anything other than SD or CCW, I could really care less about where they were made. Though I believe the US produced, and still produces, the best shotguns money can buy for anything other than "perfect" clay shooting guns.

PS: my most ideal pistol is a Colt 1911 MKIV Series 70, so, I guess I do want an American pistol afterall.

Status
Not open for further replies.