Foredom Handpiece bearings

RsqVet

Anyone know a size / part number for a model 30 hand piece with shot bearings -- would prefer cheaper and better than OEM and would prefer to get them prior to take down as opposed to having to remember how it all goes back together.

Any help much appreciated.

HiBC

This is an official Foredom factory vid on #30 handpiece overhaul.

Pretty simple and straightforward. Its not an automatic transmission. Not much danger of basketcasing it.

Higher quality bearings cheaper? I'm not the guy. I don't know how many years of Foredom experience went into just the right lube and bearing.

Or,it might be that your local bearing house can look at it and say "Yup.This one" I don't know.

https://youtu.be/i74rgmlSL_0

Scorch

The owner's handbook that came with my Foredom lists all the parts needed to rebuild the handpiece. I'll look for it this week.

Dfariswheel

I got my Foredom Flex Shaft in the late 1960's in watchmakers school.

It's still going strong.
Some years ago I bought a new shaft and motor brushes "just because" but the original parts were still good and the same brushes are still in it.

One thing not to stint on are the bearings. Buy the best you can get.

RsqVet

Thanks guys -- I already have a new one thanks to amazon but don't want to trash the old one.... I guess because I just don't like to throw things away.

This foredom has served me well -- was 100 dollars on CL, came out of a factory and had a beat up foot pedal, that has been replaced as as now this and the inner shaft thought that was not needed -- turned out the set screw had just loosened up. can not say enough good things about foredom and how much it improved my work on many things.

I have a weird slow speed flex shaft motor (started life as an animal clipper) that I may just relegate that unit to and see if it matters at lower speed. If not can use that for low speed jobs, otherwise will have to pull the bearings and size and order. I realize it's not an automatic transmission more spring detent chronometer but would still rather source parts and do all at once. Also assume I can find a better deal than what foredoom wants for run of the mill bearings.

Dfariswheel

The Foredom bearings are top of the line.
My old #30 hand piece has bearings sealed with a crimped in steel cover, not the usual plastic covers.
Personally, I'd go with Foredom to make sure I got the best and the correct type.
You only need two and that's not going to break you.

If it's an older model like mine the front bearing is not replaceable except by the factory.