Forcing Gunshops to Increase Security

Gunslinger

http://chicagotribune.com/news/printedition/article/0,2669,SAV-0010140181,FF.html

GUN SHOP THEFTS LEAD TO PUSH FOR SAFEGUARDS

By Dan Mihalopoulos
The Chicago Tribune

October 14, 2000

Burglars broke down the front door of a gun shop in Elgin last winter, smashed a glass display case and fled with 23 handguns. Most vanished on the streets, but at least one gun--a small-caliber Beretta--reappeared.

The automatic handgun was used in April to kill 18-year-old Matthew Kimble. Two weeks later, burglars struck the B&L Rod & Gun shop again, helping themselves to 12 more guns.

The Beretta's journey from a shattered display case to the hands of a killer is hardly an isolated case. Guns found at crime scenes frequently are traced to smash-and-grab burglaries.

The back-to-back break-ins of B&L have prompted Elgin police to campaign for an ordinance requiring stronger security measures in gun shops, a move the shop's owner says is calculated to put him out of business. But Elgin is not the first community to try to curb gun violence by applying pressure at its source.

Carol Stream, Northbrook and West Dundee are among the Chicago suburbs that require guns shops to take measures such as placing bars over windows and storing weapons overnight in safes.

Many dealers say their shops are small businesses operating on narrow profit margins and can't afford costly security measures. Some say the ordinances unfairly imply that they should be held responsible for what people do with stolen guns.

"They want to force the dealers in the city out of business," said William Whistle, the owner of B&L. "Then they can sit there and say, `We cleaned up the town.'"

Many retailers have taken steps to secure their stock, employing alarms, video surveillance, locked display cases, pull-down security gates and even crash barriers.

The U.S. government does not require dealers to take security measures, only to report lost or stolen firearms to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. But experts say there is no legal reason why Elgin and other municipalities cannot force gun retailers to take precautions against theft.

In Illinois, 23 licensed gun dealers have reported lost, stolen or missing firearms more than once each during the last six years, according to the ATF. Of those 23, six have filed three or more reports of lost, stolen or missing guns during that period.

K's Merchandise in Rockford has been robbed twice in less than a year. The store's security videotape showed that three masked robbers needed just 64 seconds to take 24 handguns in early 1999.

Nine weapons from that burglary were recovered, and Daniel Walker, then 18, was convicted and served 6 months in a prison boot camp.

"That sentence wasn't nearly enough for what he did," said Rockford Police Detective Danny Feltz. "He put 15 guns on the street."

Since 1994, Northbrook has required gun shops to store all firearms and ammunition in locked cases. Only employees approved by the police chief are allowed to have a key to a gun display.

And following a burglary last year at Bob's Trading Post, West Dundee approved perhaps the most far-ranging gunshop security ordinance in the Chicago area. The Village Board required the store to tie its alarm into the police response system, place bars over the windows and lock merchandise nightly in a secure room.

There have been no gun shop burglaries in West Dundee since the ordinance was approved.

Bob Aniballi, owner of Bob's Trading Post, said he agreed that his shop and the community are better served, although complying with the ordinance cost him $7,000.

"I don't want one gun to fall in the hands of the wrong people," Aniballi said.

After the burglaries at B&L, Elgin police asked Whistle, the owner, to improve security. He has refused, even though, he said, his insurance company canceled his policy because of the break-ins. His shop has an alarm system, but burglars were able to escape in the two or three minutes before police arrived.

Whistle said he resents the suggestion that he is even indirectly responsible for Matthew Kimble's death.

"Anything can be misused," he said. "If somebody takes your pencil and stabs someone in the eye, would you have great remorse?"

Elgin's measure, which is still being drafted, probably will require guns to be stored in a safe while the store is closed. It also calls for braided wire to be threaded through the trigger guards of handguns. City Atty. Mike Gehrman, who is drafting the proposal, said violators would be fined, with shops being forced to close only as a last resort.

"The spirit of the ordinance is to prevent thefts, not to be punitive to the shops," Gehrman said.

The Beretta used to kill Kimble was stolen from Whistle's store Dec. 11. Three men were arrested and charged in that burglary, but only one gun besides the Beretta has been recovered. The suspects told police they sold the guns quickly in Chicago.

None of the 12 weapons stolen in the second B&L break-in, in April, has been recovered, police said.

Kimble's mother, Terry, recalls taking her son as a young boy to visit the shop. She bought him his Boy Scout uniforms and first pocket knife there.

Police believe Matthew Kimble was an innocent bystander at a party where a fight broke out and shots were fired. Police have not been able to find the suspect in the slaying.

Terry Kimble said she thinks it was too easy for the gun to get into the shooter's hands.

"It should be harder to get into a gun dealer than a regular store," she said. "It just seems to be common sense."

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!

Pampers

Sounds like some of Mayor Daley's BS. It's obviously the gunshop owner's fault that this business was broken into! G*d forbid that the Chicago cops risk their lives by catching a criminal, or the DOJ prosecuting them.

It's just another way to raise the Cost-of-Doing-Business until more FFLs go out of business.

By the way, has anybody knocked over a National Guard Armory lately and gotten some of the REAL good stuff?

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle

P

PreserveFreedom

I would think that these shops would want to take precautions on their own. Where I am, every dealer in town takes all of his guns off of his shelves and puts them in a safe overnight. All windows are barred and they have the latest security systems. What they spend on precautions can easily be saved on insurance premiums. Some insurance companies may even be justified in adding a clause that a firearm left in a glass case won't be covered. Think about it. Would you leave your pistol on the seat of your car every weekend when you went shopping? After one crushed window, you had better have learned your lesson. If it happens a second time, you are going to pay for it more several times over in increased premiums.

Backwoods

National Guard armories keep thier weapons in secure vaults, not quite as sturdy as most banks but close. The bolts or other essential pieces are stored at another location, in my old guard unit they were stored at the local Police station. I have mixed feelings about this security issue, I'm sure that most of the call for increased measures is inspired by the desire to regulate people out of the business. I'm also certain that I could come up with a simple, cheap system to make smash and grab actions more difficult and therefore less attractive to thieves. People in the gun business should police themselves, because if they don't, the gun grabbers will be happy to come up with dozens of costly regulations to comply with. Anybody who has two MAJOR thefts and refuses to change his way of doing things is begging for more harrassment than he can imagine. I am totally against the government establihing laws telling gun dealers how to operate their stores and this guy is practically begging them to get involved.

TexasVet

Have none of these guys tried the triggered tear gas bombs that they sell in their shops? I had one in my house in Houston before I got out to the country. Had one breakin after it was installed and they did not take ANYTHING!
Took a couple hours to air the place out, but that was better than the previous breakin where they took 20 guns!

------------------
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
68-70
true story, a Union Gen. once said "Don't worry about those Rebs. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..SPLAT.

MrMisanthrope

A gunshop near me bought an old "mini" postoffice when his little burg outgrew it. The whole building is a safe. No exterior glass, double entry w/airlock, etc.

The only thing getting into that building in less than 3 hrs without a key is a Fed Tank.

Hellofalot safer for both him & his guns than when he operated out of his home.

mussi

The last known gun shop burglary in Switzerland was in 1981. The
burglars went inside, set off a silent alarm, and at least two dozen
LEOs showed up withhin minutes, with enough firepower to rival an
infantry platoon.

That is, their wisdom told them NOT to rival the LEOs. Everyone had a
full-auto HK 21E.

Bob Locke

If someone steals a car off the lot of a dealer and uses it in the commission of a crime, are we going to make the auto dealers build garages large enough to house every car they have on display?

Maybe the city council ought to vote the funding for an officer to be stationed at each gun shop overnight, since this IS a "community safety" issue, after all. That way, since this is what the "community" wants, they can help pay for it.

I thought we had a Constitution in this country.

P

PreserveFreedom

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If someone steals a car off the lot of a dealer and uses it in the commission of a crime, are we going to make the auto dealers build garages large enough to house every car they have on display?[/quote]
Let's use some common sense now. There is a difference between leaving a $1000.00 car in a parking lot and leaving a $1000.00 firearm in an unsecured glass case. It isn't much effort to secure each and every firearm in your shop before you go home. As for the car dealers, most of them tend to put gates up after hours and the ones that may have a car stolen now and then get a car stolen, not 20 by one person.

JJR

I'll admit that the above mentioned proposed legislation is probably more of an attempt to run shops out of business than to deter crime. However, I have been to too many gun shops lately that are less secure after hours than an outdoor flea market. It's almost like these dealers would rather cash in on their theft insurance than actually have to sell their guns (please burglarize us. We'll make it easy for you, we promise!).

IMHO, these dealers are no better and no more helpful to our cause than the idiots who leave loaded guns lying around for their kids to find. They're the ones who bring this kind of unnecessary legislation upon all the good dealers out there.

Bob Locke

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PreserveFreedom:
Let's use some common sense now. There is a difference between leaving a $1000.00 car in a parking lot and leaving a $1000.00 firearm in an unsecured glass case. It isn't much effort to secure each and every firearm in your shop before you go home. As for the car dealers, most of them tend to put gates up after hours and the ones that may have a car stolen now and then get a car stolen, not 20 by one person.[/quote]

I know what effort is involved in stowing firearms at the end of the day. I work at a gun shop.

We were broken into several months ago. We had accordion-style gates across the front windows. The thieves broke out the windows, climbed over the gates (there was a gap of about two feet that was over eight feet off the ground), cut the steel cables we used to secured the long guns to the racks, and made off with six Romak 991 rifle. Now, we were lucky because these guys were total idiots for taking the ones they took when there was a Stery AUG and a couple of nice AR-15's right next to those ROMAK's, but that's beside the point. Sometimes, even pretty good defensive measures simply aren't enough. We have since installed steel grate over the entire front of the store, and it would take a cutting torch to get in there now.

My point is, the city has no business dictating security measures to these dealers, unless the city is willing to come forth with the funding to help them with it. I am sure that none of these dealers leaves his shop insecure at night, and that the break-ins have been coordinated efforts comepleted after days of checking out the establishment to determine what methods would work against its defenses. None of these guys WANTS their guns stolen.