For Vulcan AR owners only

Lazy D

What I'm looking for is responses only from those who have owned or do own and shoot Vulcan Rifle or who have used Vulcan parts. I've read a lot here and on other forums about how big of a piece of crap that vulcans are. I've read more first hand reports that were positive than negative. I've only found two guys with first hand knowledge of a problem they had. I understand that they changed the name from Hesse to Vulcan. The Hesse rifle that I've seen I was not impressed with. But that was just the looks of the finish of the casting. The newer Vulcan lowers I've seen were much improved, but still no firsthand input from owners.

I'm not interested in what anyone has heard or rumor.
I'm looking for specific problems anyone has experienced.
Not looking to buy one, just looking for facts.

Lazy D

No replies?

I must admit I am surprised. From all I've heard from other forums and a few comments here is that everyone should run from Vulcan ARs. I certainly expect there to be someone here that could speak from experience. I did have one reply to this same posting on the Smithy forum. It was a positive response. I remember many years ago when Bushmaster was put in that same category. Everyone said they were junk. Bushmaster had the worst reputation. They have certainly turned things around. I hope Vulcan turns there reputation around. I like the looks of the ones I've seen lately.

Lazy D

Thanks Clayfish for the reply. It sure seems that I've read a lot more complaints about the AK line. Personally I've never dealt with any of the Vulcan AKs. Is it mainly the AK products that everyone grips about?

kozak6

Well, I don't have any direct experience with their guns, but I've read nasty things about most of their product line.

Bad FAL's, MAC pistols that won't even hand cycle out of the box, carbon aramid AR15 recievers cracking, and so on.

They also offer no warranty. Hmm.

Duxman

Lazy D,

Being the poster who started the Vulcan AR thread - let me just say - if you really want a bargain basement AR with good customer service - go to Olympic Arms.

I have a PC3 for almost 10 years now, and its still going strong. Plus OA's customer service is top notch. I would definately buy from them again.

With Vulcan - you are better off fixing it yourself. Or be smart and why take the chance?

Lazy D

I certainly appreciate the vast amount of knowledge on this forum and everyone's input. Actually I do have an Olympic I put together back in 99. It has been great and it is my duty gun. I have been a Colt certified armorer for several years now. I have had the pleasure of seeing almost every AR brand and configuration. I just have limited experience with some of the lesser known. Only lately have I had the opportunity to see a few of the vulcan stripped lowers. I've ordered three by request for individuals and all have been very pleased. I assembled one of them and everything was flawless. Granted I only used the stripped lower and everything else came form other vendors. My goal here was simply to try and figure out how they got the reputation they have. I understand the warranty concerns and agree that it sends a bad message. Having worked on hundreds of ARs myself I can't understand why they wouldn't give them a lifetime warranty. They are so easy to work on.

Thanks again to everyone's for the input.
This is a great Forum.

DougJ169

Vulcans Are OK

I have owned aV15 FOR A while and have not had any trouble with it or Vulcan It is very accurate 3/4'' at 100 yds or better I have run 2 to 3000 rounds thru it with no ftf or fire. I am waiting now for my second one

Lazy D

DougJ169
Welcome to TFL and thanks for your input.
You'll find tons of info here and most are willing to help you out.
Glad to hear of your good experience with the Vulcan.

44-40

I had a v15, 20", a3 removeable carry handle. I fired nearly 1000 rnds thru it without a glitch. I could not get the groups out of it that I wanted with 55 gr. bullets, maybe it was the 1 in 7 twist, I sold it and bought a bushmaster heavy with a 1 in 9, don't know how it shoots yet. Side by side the carry handle and sights on the bushmaster are much heavier. The vulcan had a carbon upper and I thought it more balanced than the heavy bushmaster. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another vulcan, keeping in mind the cheaper models are a service grade rifle and not a match gun. As said before mine worked fine and I believe there is a 1 year warranty on them.

Jason280

Lazy,

I picked up one of their uppers for a lightweight build, which I was going to mate with a Cavalry Arms lower. My plan was to build a 6lb AR, but sold the upper before a went too far with the project. The two major problems I identified on the Vulcan upper were with the threads for the barrel and the area that the charging handle latch locks to. First, the threads are soft, and you have to be very careful with the barrel nut or you will ruin them. Second, the "hump" that the CH latch locks to is also soft, and will wear completely down over time. The result is a charging handle that won't stay where it is supposed to.

That was my experience, and I promptly got rid of the upper.